Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Conditioner

Default Air Conditioner

I know this topic has been discussed before. I recently purchased a 2005 Excursion 140". I bought it in Florida. Great vehicle! They told me it was tough to cool down. Got it here in Illinois and had the Freon checked. There was too much. Also it has not been real hot this year. Also ..it is a Tuxedo. I have found that by leaving it garaged until the last moment really helped. That glass roof gets real hot if left out...which I'm sure a lot of people know. Mine seemed to cool pretty decent by doing these few things. But..I feel that if it really gets hot,cooling it down and keeping it cool could be an issue. Is it possible to put another compressor on, or the high idle. I know the water is not going thru the heater. I really want to keep this vehicle and will do whatever it takes to cool it down. I really don't want to go the rooftop air conditioner way. What options do I have here? Thanks Jimmy

Yes it possible to put a another compressor on call ben at manex corp. he will set you up with every thing you need.

Default ac

Thank you. I spoke with him today. He seems to know what he is talking about.Has some great ideas for me.Did he help you with the same problem? Thanks Jimmy

Junior Member Limo Padawan capcitylimo's Avatar

Hi Jimmy, I had the same problem with my lincoln. I found out that the condensor was clogged with dirt, that's where the hot air is sucked from inside the limo. I don't know where it is located in the excursion but it should be somewhere under the seat in the back cabin. the condensor looks like the back of your refrigerator, it has some metal tubes and plates that gets cold.
    another trick I learned is to reset the AC switch: disconnect all the batteries negative cables for about 30 minutes then reconnect them again.

http://capcitylimo.com

Hello Capcity,

I believe you are meaning the evaporator got clogged with dirt. That can happen after a long while and depending on how dusty the inside of your limousine gets.

Smile Experienced Mechanic

The main thing is to have an experienced mechanic and regularly scheduled maintenance. Pay now or pay much more later.....

Quote Originally Posted by BARRED1 View Post
    I know this topic has been discussed before. I recently purchased a 2005 Excursion 140". I bought it in Florida. Great vehicle! They told me it was tough to cool down. Got it here in Illinois and had the Freon checked. There was too much. Also it has not been real hot this year. Also ..it is a Tuxedo. I have found that by leaving it garaged until the last moment really helped. That glass roof gets real hot if left out...which I'm sure a lot of people know. Mine seemed to cool pretty decent by doing these few things. But..I feel that if it really gets hot,cooling it down and keeping it cool could be an issue. Is it possible to put another compressor on, or the high idle. I know the water is not going thru the heater. I really want to keep this vehicle and will do whatever it takes to cool it down. I really don't want to go the rooftop air conditioner way. What options do I have here? Thanks Jimmy
    Dean Schuler

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Schuler View Post
    The main thing is to have an experienced mechanic and regularly scheduled maintenance. Pay now or pay much more later.....
    True. And please, please, please! buy the right tires for your vehicles. I have seen too many stretches around here that have tires with Load Index Ratings of 98 (1653lbs). That is only 6612lbs on a vehicle with a GVW of 7500lbs or more. I have seen Stretch SUVs with blown out tires because of underrated tires. Good Lord people! Spend the money and do it right!
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

I am replacing my tires with the same ones that are on it now. Pirelli Scorpians. Normally they are around $175 per tire. I found a company that had 2 they were trying to get rid of on E-bay for $85 per tire plus shipping. They were from Wisconsin. They drop shipped them to one of there stores in Chicago and I picked them up for no shipping. Brand New!! Jimmy

As for the air....Ben from Mannex ...told me to first put a water shut off valve on the hot water going to the back of the SUV. Turn it off in summer and back on in the winter. That's where we are starting anyway. Jimmy

look at your expansion valve its common for them to clog on fords.

Quote Originally Posted by under pressure View Post
    look at your expansion valve its common for them to clog on fords.
    it sounds like everybody that owns an Excursion has this problem...but I will try anything. As I said I get really cold air until it gets warm inside and then it just seem it is very hard to get it back. Thanks

Does anyone know how to check the expansion valves....would I need an experienced mechanic and do I have to get under the J seat? Thanks

how many a/c unit's do you have and were are they if there under the seat's can they get fresh air from the cabin it get's real hot under the seat's it will help if they can get cool air.

Blog Entries

The object of A.C. is to move the hot air out of the cabin. This is accomplished by moving that air over the evaporator so that the heat can transfer to the fins and tubs on the evaporator core and be taken away to the condensor (which is located in front of the Radiator) and dispersed into the out side air. Make sure there is easy access to the evaporator, it is clean and make sure that the air flow through the condensor is good. They some times get clogged with dust and leaves. The system on that vehicle is designed for a passenger car and simply is just not designed to remove the heat load in a hurry of 14 passengers as verses just 6.

Blog Entries

Just a couple more tips you may want to look at. Make sure the cooling fans are working at the condenser. Better yet, look into a more powerfull cooling fan. Next look into a high idle kicker system. When ever you are around a Motor Coach, you hear the engine running at high idle. This is to one keep up with the electric load an two keep the A.C. compressor running fast enough to keep up with the heat load. Hope this helps but take it to some one who knows A.C. Some Guys thing they do but a lot do not have a clue. Check out a home heating contractor or a R.V dealer.