Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Check www.limousinescene.com

Default Starfield Technologies

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Scene View Post
    Today the web developer is coming back in the office to teach one of my staff members how to manage it.
    Is your developer Starfield Technologies? It look like the site is built using Starfield Technologies; WebSite Tonight v4.8.0!

The coding errors visible to "regular Joes" make your site look "home-made". My opinion is that your company is way more professional than your new site. Your logo is great, it's the way it is just thrown in the corner of the page. It SCREAMS that a template was used.

I recommend that you ask your developer for your money back and find someone that can design a site that looks as professional as you and your staff are.

Just my 2 cents.

Okay...Detective Tim signing in...

At the bottom of Luff's new site, there is a line stating that it was designed by MayDay Marketing. Clicking on the link to MayDay's website to go to their site, I found a list of websites that MayDay as recently launched and is getting ready to launch. Toward the bottom is a website for Primier Financial (www.fintek.org) that is about to launch. The image of the page for Primier looked EXTREMELY familiar to me. I decided to pull up their webpage in a separate tab. Toward the bottom I noticed the same line that is listed at the bottom of Luff's page...."Designed and Hosted by MayDay Marketing".

Now...You have seen Primier's site. Go to our good friend Charles's website at www.westfieldlimo.com and review it. Hmmm...........Are they not...EXACTLY THE SAME!?!? Yes, I know the text is different, but the layouts are identical and even the same images are used. Now, seeing that Charles has his site hosted with GoDaddy, I assume that he used the WYSIWYG editor's at GoDaddy to create his page. I'm cool with that. He isn't claiming that he built the site from the ground up. MayDay Marketing on the other hand....to me it comes across like they built the site from the ground up on their own since it states that it was "Designed by MayDay Marketing" at the bottom.

Anyone else have issues with this?
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

That's a financial template on godaddy. I can't give away all my secrets.
    President
    Charles A. Kuritz
    Westfield Limousine Service Inc.
    www.westfieldlimo.com
    ckuritz@westfieldlimo.com

Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post
    Anyone else have issues with this?
    I have no issue as long as Mayday tells it's client that they are using Godaddy's "Website Tonight" software via a reseller.

I think it's great that individuals use a WYSIWYG program to get their company online. It's not cool for a "marketing" company to use one.

Luff, ask for your money back! You can get a better site built by an EBAY designer.

Have no clue to how accurate this information is, but just saw this:

The Go Daddy Group of companies also includes Wild West Domains, Inc., a reseller of domains and domain-related products and services; Domains by Proxy®, a private registration service; Starfield Technologies, a research and development affiliate; and Blue Razor Domains, a membership-based discount registrar.
    http://hostjury.com/reviews/GoDaddy

If true, that would explain it.

Wow thats pretty poor for a website design company to charge a company thousands of dollars for a godaddy template...
    I offer Search engine optimization for Limo Companies. Our main limo website has had over 9.6 million hits. Some of my clients: www.FirstClassLimos.net Rome Tours Tours in Rome Limo Service Philadelphia www.PartyBusToledo.com

Call us at 1-888-51-LIMOS (54667) For referral work in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus, Toledo, & Pittsburgh PA and all cities in between - over 15,000+ customers and counting!

What is that wysiwyg program you are talking about.
    President
    Charles A. Kuritz
    Westfield Limousine Service Inc.
    www.westfieldlimo.com
    ckuritz@westfieldlimo.com

Quote Originally Posted by wflimonj View Post
    What is that wysiwyg program you are talking about.
    "Website Tonight" is kind of a "What You See Is What You Get" program.

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Jim,

Overall site looks good. I would second a couple of previous suggestions:

-get a hold of a graphic designer and have the logo "cleaned up". You do not have to change it, just have it redone into a better quality .jpg

-break some of the pages up into different pages, way to much scrolling. I do not agree with others that a page can not be bigger than the screen, but I would make sure the important stuff is on top.

Otherwise, congrats on the new site!
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Thanks. My developer is a GoDaddy reseller and did use a template and was forthright about it. He charged me $100 guys! I really can't complain. He spent two hours with Espie in my office yesterday teaching her how to make changes and add things. We printed out this thread as well as e-mails for her to begin working on corrections one at a time. I have no idea how long it took to type all my stuff in there but I am assuming a few hours. I figure with two hours of training, two hours of loading my stuff - for $100, I am okay with it.

We began working on changes, metatags, SEO titles etc. on Friday. Remember, she only gets an hour a day on this project so it will not be overnight but again, thank you all.

The one thing I will say though is that before and after the change if you go to Google and type in Limos in Bakersfield or any variation, you are driven to me. Isn't that what we really care about?
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Luff you are right and I second that.

Yes it is very good and important to have the good rankings. Like I said in the other thread, IMO it's better to start with what ranks you over what looks the best and grow from there.

[Note: I just realized after typing most of this message, that the link you gave us is "thelimousinescene.com" and not "limousinescene.com", so this is TWICE as important now.]

One thing though, to help keep your rankings up, you should make sure you help the search engines find your changes by telling them where the new content is.

Go to google and enter: site:www.limousinescene.com to see what pages they already have indexed. (another tool to use is Yahoo's site explorer: http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com...usinescene.com )

[Note again, if you do either of these using thelimousincescene.com, there is nothing there other than the home page. (which I did when I first gave my review, which is why i didn't mention this before, not realizing two different domain names)]

All of those pages on those lists are not on your current site, it currently just displays your home page, however the server still returns a code to saying its a "page not found", which will end up having the search engine drop it, and then later have to refind it by following new links on your site. It is better to let the search engines (and anyone who either follows a link directly to that page, or had it bookmarked) know to automatically go there, but do so in a way that search engines like. (its a fun "science" at how they handle pages at your site).

I'm not sure what type of access you have to editing the actual files on your site, or what type of control panel you have, but check with the guy who set you up on how to do a 301 redirect (he'll know what it means if you don't).

If you do directly have access to edit your .htaccess file, add the following to it:

Redirect 301 /about.html http://thelimousinescene.com/About_us.html
    Redirect 301 /packages.html http://thelimousinescene.com/Packages.html
    Redirect 301 /rates.html http://thelimousinescene.com/Rates.html
    Redirect 301 /sponsors.html http://thelimousinescene.com/Sponsorships.html
    Redirect 301 /staff.html http://thelimousinescene.com/Home_Page.html

For that last one, since you don't actually have a "staff" page, I just thought it is better to go to the home page.

The 301 response code is for "Moved Permanently", which is way better for a search engine to see that the 404 (File not found) response code that you currently get from those old links. (yes, *we* see your home page, the search engines don't look past that response code they get from the server, unless it's a response code of 200, a valid request for something there.)

Your site is set up now so anything you go to using "limousinescene.com" which is a valid page on the new site, does a 301 to "thelimousinescene.com", however the redirect is set up with an extra forward slash in it. Still works and displays, but just my major picky geek side that says find it and get rid of it ;-)

Another hint: In case you haven't already save it off a copy of your old site (it's easy to leave something from an older site off the new one), while Google still have these links indexed, click on the "CACHED" link for each. This will bring up what (for the most part content wise, images and CSS may be gone) used to be there for reference.

Lastly, more for fun, while you are the yahoo site explorer, click the tab for "Inlinks", and then Show Links Except from this domain. There are indexed pages that are linking to your home page. Change TO from "Only this URL" to "Entire site" to see all links to you r site. (google, you can do similar by change the search to link:www.limousinescene.com)

-Greg

Greg,

The developer created the site using "thelimousinescene" and the allowed us to view progress. Once he was done, we directed limousinescene.com to load the contents from thelimousinescene.com

Hence the two names and oh, yeah - you are WAY, WAY over my head. I have learned so much from asking you all to look at my site. It is still over my head but thankfully I have younger people working for me that seem to have a better handle on technology.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Default Quick Question

Jim,

Was the website design a part of a larger marketing package?

Jim, no problem man, just trying to help you and your team learn ;-)

Let me know if you need more info on the subject.

I'm glad to help!

-Greg