Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check www.limousinescene.com

Default Check www.limousinescene.com

I just launched a new website today. Just wanted to hear what you thought about it. We already have identified a few areas that need tweaking and corrections so I am seeking input from my peers here to see what else we can do to improve it or correct things.

www.limousinescene.com

Thanks!
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Oops, I forgot there was an area on the forum to place this in. When I think website - I think marketing so this is where I posted.

I suppose a moderator could be moderated here and you may find this post moved but for now, I am looking for corrections, additions, typos etc.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator

Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Blog Entries

First thing that i noticed was none of your pages have title SEO. IE Bakersfield Limo by the Limousine Scene or similar.

I don't know what that means? Can ya help a brutha out and explain that?
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator

Bakersfield, CA

A little too much of text, can be in border boxes to identify the difference between various vehicles, and the font are too large, and at last, the color of the font are okay okay. I would change the font and color, the website stands okay and helpful...

On the top menu, home should be far left, and about us should be second from right. The right most should be contact us or terms and condition.

At last, the home page pic you have with the limo and 2 guys walking, I am not sure if you own that picture, but I think Getty Images owns that pic. They can sue you for $900.00 easily. They did once to me but I have a lawyer friend who saved my ass. Watch out on putting pictures on a commercial website that you don't own or have permission to use...

Honest opinion. 6.5 out of 10.

~~Dee
    Last edited by bluelimos; August 12th, 2009 at 07:05 PM. Reason: forgot to put the picture detail.

Thanks for the input. The site was designed by a marketing company. While they took some photos at my shop, they provided any stock art. I will ask them about this now to avoid problems. I like your suggestions. They are by far the most critical yet but this is exactly what I was looking for and I always say - your website should never be "done" but a constant work in progress.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator

Bakersfield, CA

The website owner is still responsible for not obtaining the rights to use the pictures as per Google, and as per Getty Images. In 2007, they took thousands of small business owners to the court and won most cases because most people don't know this and they took the pictures just from the search engine. Tricky...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bluelimos View Post
    A little too much of text, can be in border boxes to identify the difference between various vehicles, and the font are too large, and at last, the color of the font are okay okay. I would change the font and color, the website stands okay and helpful...

On the top menu, home should be far left, and about us should be second from right. The right most should be contact us or terms and condition.

At last, the home page pic you have with the limo and 2 guys walking, I am not sure if you own that picture, but I think Getty Images owns that pic. They can sue you for $900.00 easily. They did once to me but I have a lawyer friend who saved my ass. Watch out on putting pictures on a commercial website that you don't own or have permission to use...

Honest opinion. 6.5 out of 10.

~~Dee
    Uhhhhh.............Getty Images is a stock photo company...LOL. Maybe the company that designed Jim's site purchased the picture license...at least I would hope they did. This is normal practice. I do it all the time. You can buy "credits" on many of these stock photo sites and utilize them as you wish.

Jim

Jim,
    I think you are being modest in the about us section, you name is not mentioned yet you are a leader and industry expert. You should add an ''about our CEO section'' to the about us detailing your long career in the industry, how you are a speaker at industry events etc, your experience is a selling point Use IT. Secondly I would add a blog so that you can add content quickly, Google loves content, I use our blog for wedding transport advice, special offers, upcoming events, etc. It does take a little work but it pay's off with the search engines. To be critical I think the home page is a little bland it needs to be stronger, if the back round colour is your company colours and you are sticking with them , I would use a darker colour for the txt.
    Regards
    Myles Flood
    Limos for Less
    www.lflcs.com
    www.limosforless.ie
    Dublin's Award Winning Limousine Service.

Oh, Thanks Myles. Excellent points! By the way, my website guy said the same thing about the photos and that he paid a "royalty fee" for their use so I am good there. Like the blog idea.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator

Bakersfield, CA

Luff I like the way your old site was laid out better.

Blog Entries

Packages: Have them break each package to it's own page. Way too much scrolling. People will get tired of reading trying to find your wine tours, for example. Have them build subpages. A main categoy page is good then broken down. For example:

Packages>Night Life>Comedy Store Express

Jim

The first thing I noticed was the logo, still looking outdated as on the old site. I was really looking forward to that modernized a bit, not much mind you, but enough so that it doesn't look so pixelated, like 90's clipart images. With the medium that is available to deliver upon, the original logo tends to "date" the site to me. I don't know how to explain it better, sorry, but there just seems to be more in the way it could be done and tied into the rest of the header. Also in the header, the picture of the limo, it's scrunched up and looks like it was "squeezed in" to fill a spot in a template, not actually part of it. That is the main "personal" item that stands out to me.

Ok, now with the more "technical" side of things, if you need any more explanation on them, let me know, as like always I love to help with websites and help others learn more. Just as a note, I'm running Firefox 3.5 on XP here.

First thing I check, does the page validate to standards that are globally defined on how to code the website. The home page doesn't (see http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...usinescene.com for the results). t appears that most of the problems on your home page at least are an issue of opening a tag and then not properly closing it, leaving it up to the browser to guess where you wanted it to end. These should be fairly easy to get cleaned up.

Next would be validating the Styles used on the site, (http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/v...usinescene.com ) Now a thing to note here, styles are more easily broken due to "hacks" that are needed for getting a browser to work around it's own issues with properly rendering the standards (IE 6, a biggie), or they are putting in things to use IE's non-standards behaviors (not the bet of ideas). These checks should be done on each page if they are their own pages, or on each template if part of a content management system. After looking at the site for the company that makes the program that generated your site, it may just be poor code from that itself, which you may be stuck with it. Remember, just because it may "look right" doesn't mean its built right. (You know this in your industry).

While your previous site used less of the normal space on a website from being narrow, it did contain the information better. This new layout when there is little content on a page, has a lot of openness to it, in which then the heading for the page looks a tad out of place. Mainly this is just the home page.

The code behind the page is a tad bloated, however this may be due to a template designed for more sections of a page than you are using. Also there are many places where spaces (actually non-breaking spaces) are being used to try to layout text. Alternatives should be found.

As already mentioned, SEO considerations could be applied in a few areas (titles, meta, linking), so as it was mentioned with stick with more technical items.

There should be a consistency across the site, while it is there, the main thing is the header for the pages, they vary across the pages in location, size, font. There should be contact info on every page, even if just down in the footer. Pages that list your rates, should somewhere have a mention to "prices valid as of" or some other indication to when last updated. So many sites out there are "abandoned", it's a good idea that to not only let people know how accurate they are, but also if you do change your rates and happen to not get the site updated right away, people won't hold you to them.

Now onto page specific issues:

HOME PAGE:

I'm not sure if you meant for the star in the middle to have the hover effect as well as other links, but the link does wrap the blank line above it, so when you hover over the star, you can see the narrow "highlight" on that line too.

The star image is larger than it is actually set to display, which makes it look more pixelated than it needs to be.

ABOUT US:

Nothing specific not already mentioned for the whole site here.

RATES:

I'm assuming you will be adding something for the section under "General Information", if not, I would consider it. Just my personal tastes, but I would break up the Rates/Fleet info a bit. Many sites for limousines have a specific link to their fleet, and people shopping around may be wanting to see yours. Also it would help make the page less long.

The images definitely need major work. Aside from my preference that actual photos over stock ones are better, just about every image needs to be resized to the dimensions you are displaying them at. This not only will make them display better (browsers are not designed to optimally resize images), but also reduce the time it takes for your page to load. As an example, see the image of your black TC: http://thelimousinescene.com/images/...limo_photo.jpg compared to viewing it on the page....

There is almost a half a meg (490k) of information for this page the visitor has to load. That is a large amount even with photos on the page. While not everyone is on a dial-up modem, it would take them about 2 minutes to fully load up this page.

There is a spelling mistake in the title: "thoughout" should be "throughout"

PACKAGES:

The same about the images (not nearly as bad), and like others mentioned about how much in on the page.

This page also needs cleaned up in it's code. It is trying to link to files that are on your computer (file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cgmay%5CLOCALS%7E1....) and looks to be someone copied from an Office document and pasted into the web editor you are using. This produces a bunch bad code for the page. Make sure when cleaning up this one gets specifically though that validator link I gave you. MS Word is is to content going into a page editor as IE 6 is to the page coming out to the visitor... Not pretty either way.

AIRPORT:

Bottom of the Fresno lists, you have Sedan misspelled as Sedean.
    There is a spelling mistake in the title: "thoughout" should be "throughout"

ENTERTAINMENT VENUES:

Interesting enough, the page name for this one is "Our_Team.html". You may want to rename this to be more appropriate for the content.

On this page you have attempted to put the pricing in the right column instead of beside the text. Besides being inconsistent with the other pages, it jsut makes it look worse that they do not line up. This is one of the few legitimate places to use a table on a web page, so you can keep things lined up correctly and make things look much, much neater.

Many places on this page the abbreviation "etc." is done as "ect."
    After the Las Vegas listing, you use "nite" instead of "night". Nite does tend to come off a little less professional, and while there may be times for that, you do use "night" elsewhere. Whichever way, keep it consistent.

VALET PARKING:

Again the column issue.

AFFILIATES:

I'd again adjust the page name (Links.html) to match the page content.

The link to Best Worldwide Transportation is broken (has GEM at the end, get rid of that and it works.

SPONSORSHIPS:

Other than the formatting issues, not much to say on this page. As to the content of this pay, great to see you take part is so many worthwhile area!

CONTACT US:

Limousine is misspelled in the page title.

The link to e-mail you at the top, when you click on it actually tries to e-mail ++Reservations@limousinescene.com

The form appears to do no validation at all, I can hit submit and send away, most likely causing you empty e-mails to look though, which will eventually result in bots posting crap to it trying to spam ya. Now you may be stuck with whatever you use to edit your site... Hope not though. I just looked at the source code to see where it is sending... it's off to the company that makes the editor you are using, so you are probably stuck. (BTW, sorry for the 2-3 blank e-mails you probably got from me this afternoon while testing it earlier).

Summary:

I'm sorry to say, (truly, I dislike telling people this as much as telling them their computer is dead) but I feel the site lacks the look of professionalism. Knowing you just from here on the forum, I would say that is not a true representation of your company.

As with the service you provide, web site services come in all variety of quality, service, pricing. What would you suggest to a bride on deciding on her transportation for her big day when she says "well this lesser company looks like the same car"? Myself, I've been on a rampage on companies listing on craigslist as "professional web designers" whose sites are horribly built. Believe me, when I started looking on there, it kept coming to mind what you guys face with people trying to pass them off as professionals in this industry. You know the "average joe" wouldn't know the difference, but you sure do.

Again, Let me know if you have any questions about any of this, I hope it helps you to improve upon your site.

-Greg

PS. as far as the images and the copyrights go...

At work we have some clients that pay us and we purchase the rights to stock images for them. They are then theirs to use within the license agreement of the company we purchased rights from. Then there are some where we as a company purchased them, and as long as we are hosting the site, we are allowed to use them on multiple sites, however once they leave us, they do not get those images (ie. We have a set of weather icons to use with a weather feed, which as a company we purchased to use across several sites we host). We provide documented receipts and detailed information that is sure to satisfy and allow the stock photo company (or original copyright holder) to track down the legalities of its use.

I thank you all for your comments. While some have been critical and hard to take, I opened myself up to this with great reason. We launched our first website in 1995 - well ahead of the www. world we know today. So, I expect this site to last at least a decade.

Today the web developer is coming back in the office to teach one of my staff members how to manage it. We are using your responses as a guide to corrections, improvements etc. This will not be a full-time job for Espie (my marketing girl that many of you have met at shows). In fact, I don't want her to spend more than an hour a day on it. But, it will be an hour a day forever. I want to be adding new stuff all the time and retiring those pacakges that just don't sell.

As for the logo Greg, I have no plans to change that. It would be way too expensive for me and I view that akin to changing the Golden Arches. I have 15 banners that are "loaned" to various events that are huge. They have the logo that we have turned into a household name. They say, "Transportation Provide by......and then a huge logo. The log appears onn the walls in our city arena and on the Jumbotron during semi-pro games. It is on our letterhead, envelopes, business cards, building, buses and vans. We have parking signs mounted on wooden bases that say "Reserved for.....and our logo underneath. We have 42 employees with company photo ID tags that have the logo not to mention logo'd apparel so I just don't see that ever changing.

Thank you again all and keep them coming and I will hand them off to Espie.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator

Bakersfield, CA

As for the logo, no I wasn't talking about a radical change, you definitely want to retain the recognition factor. Just maybe a subtle change. It's hard for me to express exactly what I mean. I have seen out graphic guys take an older logo and modernize it, while keeping it basically the same. I envy their skills with Photoshop!

As I mentioned if you need more explanation on the reasoning behind what I suggested, don't hesitate to ask here or in PM. I do hope you took it as it was intended, to help improve, not complain.

-Greg