Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start up in Orlando. TC, SUV or 120"????

Default Start up in Orlando. TC, SUV or 120"????

I am in the process of getting a car on the road. I am buying a business name, numbers, website and Hillsborough permits. I will operate out of Poinciana/Kissimmee FL. I am looking for advice on what my first car should be to get started on the right foot. I am looking to do corporate, hotel, charter, weddings, funerals, as directed etc. I obviously will farm out work I get for vehicles I dont have, and am hoping to find farm in work for whatever I start with. I would love to find a mentor in the Orlando area. All of my experience is from the Tampa area, and I know that things are very different between the two markets. Thanks

Good luck in the Kissimmee area, VERY little work there unless your prices are rock bottom. The Orlando market is flooded right now.
    Daytona Limos
    Daytona Beach Limo Service
    Nationwide 800-296-1990
    Need limo service outside of Daytona Beach?
    Palm Coast Limo
    Orlando Limo
    Jacksonville Limo
    Daytona Limo
    Palatka Limo
    Titusville Limo
    Palm Coast Limousines

Thats not real encouraging. I dont do "rock bottom, it does me no good and does the local limo scene no good. I was always known for getting rate while in Tampa, but then again those were different times. I am leaning towards an Escalade or Town Car so in a worst case scenario, I just end up having a nice personal vehicle.

Any ideas as to general cost for permitting for Orlando and airport? Thanks.

Permits

County of Osceola
    $100.00 per car
    $50 per driver permit

City of Orlando
    $300 per car start up ($200 for renewals after 1st year)
    $50 per driver permit

Orlando International Airport
    $500 deposit for 1st car, $500 deposit for second car which then allows you up to 5 cars
    $60 per car for barcodes (then you are billed for every trip)

Port Canaveral
    $200 per car start up
    $100 FBI background check per driver permit

Here is what you will have to spend to be legal in Central Florida. Like I said the market is very tough, plus almost every nice hotel has Town Cars that sit on location almost like cabs.
    Daytona Limos
    Nationwide 800-296-1990
    Palm Coast Limo
    Orlando Limo
    Jacksonville Limo
    Daytona Limo
    Palatka Limo
    Titusville Limo
    Palm Coast Limousines

Senior Member Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast's Avatar
    Palm Coast, Fl & Service Daytona, Ormond, Jacksonville, Orlando , St Augustine
    Blog Entries

Don't let anyone tell you that rock bottom is the only way. That is just a sign of desperation. We service all north and central Florida. We have had no problem maintaining pricing this slow season. The area you will be in is great for airport and resort trips. If you grab a nice sedan and a 120 and market it right you could do real well. I wish we were closer to the attractions. We would do short trips all day , trust me the biz is there. Good Luck.

God damn those prices are ridiculous. Now I know why gunny is so upset.
    President
    Charles A. Kuritz
    Westfield Limousine Service Inc.
    www.westfieldlimo.com
    ckuritz@westfieldlimo.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wflimonj View Post
    God damn those prices are ridiculous. Now I know why gunny is so upset.
    It SUXXX.

M.C.O. has $1,000. of our $ we will never see again. BS!!!!

Thanks for the information. Please keep any advice or thoughts regarding the Orlando area coming. I am still trying to figure out what the Town car market is with Mears running them as taxis. I really want to run a 120, but will put what makes money on the road first. I will not be driving, the wife and a retiree will be driving. Wife and I will handle the phones. I will be handling sales and marketing. I drive truck for Frito Lay and make too good of money to quit just yet. Thanks again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tampastockman View Post
    Thanks for the information. Please keep any advice or thoughts regarding the Orlando area coming. I am still trying to figure out what the Town car market is with Mears running them as taxis. I really want to run a 120, but will put what makes money on the road first. I will not be driving, the wife and a retiree will be driving. Wife and I will handle the phones. I will be handling sales and marketing. I drive truck for Frito Lay and make too good of money to quit just yet. Thanks again.
    I would start with a 120. The insurance is cheaper and you can offer Limo service for people who want a sedan for a discounted rate

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daytona Limos View Post
    Permits

County of Osceola
    $100.00 per car
    $50 per driver permit

City of Orlando
    $300 per car start up ($200 for renewals after 1st year)
    $50 per driver permit

Orlando International Airport
    $500 deposit for 1st car, $500 deposit for second car which then allows you up to 5 cars
    $60 per car for barcodes (then you are billed for every trip)

Port Canaveral
    $200 per car start up
    $100 FBI background check per driver permit

Here is what you will have to spend to be legal in Central Florida. Like I said the market is very tough, plus almost every nice hotel has Town Cars that sit on location almost like cabs.

Port Canaveral is $400. start up and $200 to renew each year. Per vehicle
    City of Orlando Vehicle for Hire Permit is $200.00 plus $50.00 for inspection per vehicle. I believe there is a 1 time application fee.
    Drivers Permit is $25.00 not $50.00 unless they changed pricing yesterday.
    Orlando Airport Bar codes are $10.00 per vehicle not $60.00

These are rates we have paid for years.

The prices for Orlando are not too unreasonable. Tampa is where the gouging is happening. Its several thousand from what i understand just for Hillsborough, then add in TIA and the port... I have enough contacts over in Tampa that I will have to permit the car for there so if I am not busy here I can hustle up something there..

The city of Orlando is $300 for new companies and $200 each year for renewals as I stated correctly in the last post, see the application. I said $50 for the drivers permits due to the cost $25 for the permit and $25- $30 for the background check. I did miss the annual $50 vehicle inspection so there is even more cash to fork out.

Port Canaveral guess I forgot it was that expensive the first time.

For start up companies at MCO it is $50 for one year of permits plus $10 for the barcode. Thus is why I said it was $60.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast View Post
    Don't let anyone tell you that rock bottom is the only way. That is just a sign of desperation.
    This statement is just missleading. I am trying to give this guy some realistic information. Also I guess you over looked his location, it is located in Osceola County. Since I know you do not have any permits for that area, I am unsure how you can tell him business is great if you are not allowed to operate in that area. We do have Osceola permits and I can tell you we do very little work in that area. I stand by my statement that there is very little work in that area and the only way to work there would be rock bottom prices, which would not be a guarantee due to the fact the demand is low.

Orlando and surrounding areas are a different story however based on the market right now it is extremely competitive and I don’t feel it would be a good time to enter the market. It is ridiculousness to compare yourself to a start up company that has no clients or reputation. We both have clients in the Orlando area and are established on the web. This guy considering the start up will not have either one of these so it will be difficult to compete against the established companies in Orlando. Right now I can call up several companies in Orlando and rent the following:

H2 Hummer Limo $380 for 4 hours everything included
    120 Lincoln 06 or newer $220 for 4 hours everything included
    Town Car $40 per hour everything included

And if you rent longer the prices get even cheaper. These prices are from companies that have permits and have insurance, so just think about the companies that don’t and how cheap they are offering cars for.
    Last edited by Daytona Limos; August 3rd, 2009 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Problem with link
    Daytona Limos
    Nationwide 800-296-1990
    Palm Coast Limo
    Orlando Limo
    Jacksonville Limo
    Daytona Limo
    Palatka Limo
    Titusville Limo
    Palm Coast Limousines

If Orlando is busier than Osceola, its not a real big deal for me to operate in the areas that have demand. I am 30 min from downtown Orlando and 30 min to the airport, so any work I can manage to pull out of Osceola can just be considered bonus work, as long as Orange county can keep me rolling. I have located a SUPER deal on a 100" but am working on a 140. I hope to have market research, business plan and all other prep work done and car on the road by early October. I will continue to use this forum for as much help as possible. Thank you very much for all the input, and please keep it coming.

On another note, I need to know if Elegant or Daytona, and any other local companies would be interested in any farm in work. (Elegant and Daytona will have first chance because I value their responses and help in this post.) I am almost done with the purchase of the corporation and its website, phones etc. I will be running the website and trying to promote it soon and any work that I manage to get I will need to farm out. I will discuss in person once interest is expressed and I am ready to go "Live".

We would be happy to talk with you once you have acquired your vehicles and permits. Good luck on the vehicle hunt.
    Daytona Limos
    Nationwide 800-296-1990
    Palm Coast Limo
    Orlando Limo
    Jacksonville Limo
    Daytona Limo
    Palatka Limo
    Titusville Limo
    Palm Coast Limousines

Wow those rates are cheap. How do you make money trying to compete with those companies. 40 all inclusive for a sedan.
    President
    Charles A. Kuritz
    Westfield Limousine Service Inc.
    www.westfieldlimo.com
    ckuritz@westfieldlimo.com