Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much does your drivers make?

Default How much does your drivers make?

I was wondering how much does an average driver make in various states. How much is considered good and great pay. Here in NYC region, most drivers get paid by the % based on the work that they do on weekly basis.

Our drivers make about $700/week average on 1099 (before taxes) for about average 4 trips a day and about 12 hours of work with 2-3 hours of idle time at their home. ( 8-9hours of total driving and 6 days work with 1 day off)

Once the Wedding, Prom or Holiday season shoots in, they make $200-$300/week more but when the season is gone, they all pressure me like I am suppose to maintain their high end check or something.

Sometimes, I feel I am just working for them to maintain their good checks and I hate that; what to do... So back again, how much does your drivers make and what do you consider as a good or a great check...

~Dee
    Last edited by bluelimos; July 25th, 2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: ($700/week)

Real quick, who owns the vehicles? Who pays for the gas? Who pays for the car washes?

Thanks!
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Member Limo Padawan

Just wondering don't you have trouble meeting the 60/7 or 70/8 rules with these schedules?

Good drivers in Ohio will run you $18-$20/hr

Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post
    Real quick, who owns the vehicles? Who pays for the gas? Who pays for the car washes?

Thanks!
    All vehicles are company owned and all the expenses including tolls, gas, car wash, oil change are paid by the company. No, we have no problem with 12 hour schedules. All the taxi cabs in the regions have steady 12 hour schedules. Our 12 hour schedules include 3-4 hour of idle time in between and the work is never consistent.

I just want to know what weekly pay is excellent for a driver.

Blog Entries

I don't think the HOS rules apply to Limo/Sedan Chauffeurs if they do not have to have a CDL.

Driver/Chauffeur pay has been addreessed several times here. Depends on the prevailing wage of the area. I am sure that a Chauffeur in NYC would expect to be paid a lot more per hour than a Chauffeur in Alpena, Mich. but I think $10.00 to $12.00 per CLOCK hour plus tips (which they have to earn) is a pretty good average for the area where I live. Now this is for an employee which you pay FICA, FUTA, witholding and you carry workers comp on. If you are playing the IC game then it is a whole different deal. Then they just pay you to lease the Limo and buy the run and and they keep 100% of what ever they take in.

Union Bus drivers only make $12.00 to $14.00 per clock hour and they are responsible for 55 passengers and a half million dollar vehicle.
    Last edited by Earl Metcalf; July 26th, 2009 at 07:37 AM.

Blog Entries

BLUE: You are playing a vey dangerous game. Taxi drivers are a whole different animal than Limo Chauffeurs. They probably are on a 12 hour lease and are in fact IRS approved IC's if you do not have the blessing of the IRS for what you are doing, you could be in for a very rude awakeing when the IRS comes knocking on your door.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Metcalf View Post
    BLUE: You are playing a vey dangerous game. Taxi drivers are a whole different animal than Limo Chauffeurs. They probably are on a 12 hour lease and are in fact IRS approved IC's if you do not have the blessing of the IRS for what you are doing, you could be in for a very rude awakeing when the IRS comes knocking on your door.
    Exactly why I asked the questions that I did. Dee, I really think you need to look at how you are paying people and not how much. If your people don't have any financial risk, which it sounds like they don't, then they are not truly IC's and therefore a 1099 is not the appropriate form. You need to be collecting and paying payroll taxes as you have employees. I suggest you fix this, then come back and ask your question again. The men in big off-white short-sleeve shirts with old ties, button-down collars, with pocket protectors and calculators will be on their way soon to knock on your door.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Metcalf View Post
    I don't think the HOS rules apply to Limo/Sedan Chauffeurs if they do not have to have a CDL.

Driver/Chauffeur pay has been addreessed several times here. Depends on the prevailing wage of the area. I am sure that a Chauffeur in NYC would expect to be paid a lot more per hour than a Chauffeur in Alpena, Mich. but I think $10.00 to $12.00 per CLOCK hour plus tips (which they have to earn) is a pretty good average for the area where I live. Now this is for an employee which you pay FICA, FUTA, witholding and you carry workers comp on. If you are playing the IC game then it is a whole different deal. Then they just pay you to lease the Limo and buy the run and and they keep 100% of what ever they take in.

Union Bus drivers only make $12.00 to $14.00 per clock hour and they are responsible for 55 passengers and a half million dollar vehicle.
    The pay issue has been mentioned but never really addressed. The topic is generally ignored. The fact is the average chauffeur is over-worked and underpaid. Otherwise if companies were paying properly and fairly they would be shouting from the roof-tops their pay plans, just think of the number of great chauffeurs that would be flocking to their companies to make fair wages and have great careers. When I hear companies complain they can't find great talent, they never look at their compensation plans.

Blue you will never get an answer on pay, here or any other forum. So just pay properly and fairly and you should see good people come to you. Believe me chauffeurs talk and if you pay well others will knock on your door seeking employment.
    I want to die while asleep like my grandfather,
    not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

I have had letters from the State regarding this and my accountant took care of it. He says that we will keep paying the drivers on 1099 without taking any taxes and treat them as a contractor.

We pay well, take care of the drivers well, even give the cars to keep for early morning and late night. If i calculate by hour, they make $15/hour including the mandatory tip, and they still make good extra cash tip.

I was just wondering if anyone else has great drivers where they are paying less or more.

Thanks
    Blue.

Blog Entries

I would sugget you go on line and down load an SS 8 form. You fill out your part and have one of your IC's fill out their part. If the IRS feels what you are doing is correct then you are OK. If they feel you are not doing it the right way then you will be given a chance to make corrections. If you don't make the necessary corrections then expect to PAY and pay and pay.

Blue hate to tell you but $15 an hour is not great if they have to pay their own taxes. Also no benefits and I am sure if they feel $15 is great they are not paying taxes which at some time will bite them. Especially if they want to buy a house, establish credit etc.. not to mention what the IRS will do to them. This is what is wrong with this business
    I want to die while asleep like my grandfather,
    not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

I pay 1/3 of the ride on the base rate plus tips that they earn. My guys are happy.
    President
    Charles A. Kuritz
    Westfield Limousine Service Inc.
    www.westfieldlimo.com
    ckuritz@westfieldlimo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Wire View Post
    Blue hate to tell you but $15 an hour is not great if they have to pay their own taxes. Also no benefits and I am sure if they feel $15 is great they are not paying taxes which at some time will bite them. Especially if they want to buy a house, establish credit etc.. not to mention what the IRS will do to them. This is what is wrong with this business
    That's the pay rate around here. We pay 35% of the trip and cover all the expenses. Now the stretch limo & 7 pax runs make about $20/hour. Our sedan rates are higher than average companies so that also adds up ($15/hour). I have talked to other drivers of some companies here but their average check is about $600/week on 1099.

I thought I was paying good enough, but good to know; I can't afford to pay anymore or the profit will go just near to zero. How much are your drivers making on weekly basis in total?

It all depends on the amount of rides for the week. All my guys are really a part time basis. I'm the only full time employee if you would call it.
    President
    Charles A. Kuritz
    Westfield Limousine Service Inc.
    www.westfieldlimo.com
    ckuritz@westfieldlimo.com

Blog Entries

Smile drivers pay?

In south Florida limo companies pay drivers-chauffeurs: 20% gratuity + 20% per job or $10-15 per hour + 20% grat. for as-directed + driver pays fuel and car wash in most companies, and drivers are not leasing the cars, the only truly IC or IO in south Florida is Carey everyone else plays a game of independant contractor, because there is not enough work to pay the drivers an hourly rate.