Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good News and Bad News

Default Good News and Bad News

So to continue my woes of running a limo company. The air condidtioning problem was a simple switch. For the humming noise its seems to be a both the front and rear differentals are shot. That will be 2 - 3 days out of commision and 4000 price tag. So all in all today was a wonderful day of my bank account and my wallet crying.

Good news is that I got my quote for my insurance and it went down about 425 a month. Thank you new insurance company.
    Last edited by wflimonj; July 17th, 2009 at 12:24 PM.
    President
    Charles A. Kuritz
    Westfield Limousine Service Inc.
    www.westfieldlimo.com
    ckuritz@westfieldlimo.com

Quote Originally Posted by wflimonj View Post
    So to continue my woes of running a limo company. The air condidtioning problem was a simple switch. For the humming noise its seems to be a both the front and rear differentals are shot. That will be 2 - 3 days out of commision and 4000 price tag. So all in all today was a wonderful day of my bank account and my wallet crying.

Good news is that I got my quote for my insurance and it went down about 425 a month. Thank you new insurance company.

I don't want to add any salt to your wounds Charles, but now you see why purchasing a livery package ESV with a 150,000 mile warranty makes financial sense.
    Rick E.
    City Limousine Sales
    √XTS Livery Sedans√Escalade ESV Livery Package SUV's√Lincoln & Cadillac Limousines & Funeral Coaches by Federal Coach√GMC Professional Grade SUV's & 15 Passenger Vans√Cadillac & Buick Passenger Cars, Crossovers, and SUV's.

~Stupidity might be hereditary, but ignorance should be painful!~

www.citylimosales.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick E. View Post
    I don't want to add any salt to your wounds Charles, but now you see why purchasing a livery package ESV with a 150,000 mile warranty makes financial sense.
    To be honest no because my truck has 145k on it and if I have to buy new to get the 150k warranty it doesn't work for me. I was just at caddy and a black on black esv was 75k I bought 2 for about 85k - 90k. So instead of 2 vehicles I have 3 and make more money.
    Last edited by wflimonj; July 17th, 2009 at 12:44 PM.
    President
    Charles A. Kuritz
    www.westfieldlimo.com

Again as I said earlier, there are specific people who do just specific jobs for Limousine vehicles. They replace the entire rear ends for $1200.00 - $1300.00 ( Doesn't matter what type of car ). Some repairs like yours would be $800-$1400.00 based on front and rear. These are the people who just do rear ends and nothing else in Long Island City and Brooklyn.

Such jobs takes 4-6 hours at the most in Long Island City NY or Brooklyn with an appointment. If they are shot, you will not be able to move. Mostly it is the bearings. I guess you are getting those figures from a stealership.

Good luck

~Blue
    Last edited by bluelimos; July 17th, 2009 at 01:28 PM.

Default Do you buy at sticker price?

Quote Originally Posted by wflimonj View Post
    To be honest no because my truck has 145k on it and if I have to buy new to get the 150k warranty it doesn't work for me. I was just at caddy and a black on black esv was 75k I bought 2 for about 85k - 90k. So instead of 2 vehicles I have 3 and make more money.

I don't know if you are buying your vehicles for cash or for financing them. But, right now a mid-$70's MSRP depending upon what incentives you qualify for could get down to the mid $60.s In addition there is 0% APR financing available for those with good credit. 0% on an ESV is worth upwards of $14,000 in interest that you would be paying to the bank. That brings the effective cost down into the low $50's after you factor in the cost of the money.

So if you bought two for $90 then you paid $45/each. For another $6,000 you could have gone brand new with a 150,000 mile warranty. Where is the value in the used one?
    Rick E.
    City Limousine Sales
    √XTS Livery Sedans√Escalade ESV Livery Package SUV's√Lincoln & Cadillac Limousines & Funeral Coaches by Federal Coach√GMC Professional Grade SUV's & 15 Passenger Vans√Cadillac & Buick Passenger Cars, Crossovers, and SUV's.

www.citylimosales.com

GM Goverment Motors sucks. Look at the stats on consumer reports. No wonder they went bankrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Randolph View Post
    GM Goverment Motors sucks. Look at the stats on consumer reports. No wonder they went bankrupt.
    Perhaps, but even with the recession and unpredictible fuel prices the Escalade family (ESV, ESC, & EXT) still outsell all other luxury SUV's within the same class. On a local level someone must be happy with the product since virtually ALL of our accounts have added additional Escalades this year even as they were cutting sedans.

Wade, since you are so opinionated on this topic I really would like to know how many Escalades you have purchased and operated and what type of issues they presented for you.
    Rick E.
    City Limousine Sales

www.citylimosales.com

Senior Member Limo Padawan limo bill's Avatar

$4000.00 ............ OMG !!!!!!!!!!

The last axel I had rebuilt was on a LTC was $500.00. The labor was $350.00 and the parts were $150.00. Pretty much bearings, seals & fluids. Of course gears & axels will run you extra if they need replacing too. ( I do understand a four wheel drive will cost more as well )

I have a very good independant mechanic that charges me a flat $85.00 per hr. I supply my own parts. I have commercial business accounts with almost every auto part store in my area that save me 20-40 % off parts. I always buy the very best quality parts I can. There is a lot of money to be saved by doing it this way.

I hear alot of people on this fourm telling us of repair experiences that cost way too much. Keep your cost down and your profits up.......thats the name of the game.
    Last edited by limo bill; July 17th, 2009 at 02:36 PM.
    " Luck is when preparation & opportunity come together "

Default GM

Rick zero. I run only Ford and Lincoln products. Years ago I ran Cadillac and they were always in the shop. I have a Navigator L that I use now. If I were to buy new right now I would buy the Expedition L and save 10k. You can get one loaded for high 30's or right around 40k depending upon options.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelimos View Post
    Again as I said earlier, there are specific people who do just specific jobs for Limousine vehicles. They replace the entire rear ends for $1200.00 - $1300.00 ( Doesn't matter what type of car ). Some repairs like yours would be $800-$1400.00 based on front and rear. These are the people who just do rear ends and nothing else in Long Island City and Brooklyn.

Such jobs takes 4-6 hours at the most in Long Island City NY or Brooklyn with an appointment. If they are shot, you will not be able to move. Mostly it is the bearings. I guess you are getting those figures from a stealership.

Good luck

~Blue
    They are replacing the ring and pinon and the carrier in the rear along with an axle bearing i believe. I dont have the paperwork with me right now. I dont have the time for a driver and me to drive to long island or brooklyn just to get a car fixed. It takes way to long from where I am at. Plus i would have to go pick it up also. So thats 2 cars out for god knows how long. I use crown caddilac in watchung. They are a great delearship.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick E. View Post
    I don't know if you are buying your vehicles for cash or for financing them. But, right now a mid-$70's MSRP depending upon what incentives you qualify for could get down to the mid $60.s In addition there is 0% APR financing available for those with good credit. 0% on an ESV is worth upwards of $14,000 in interest that you would be paying to the bank. That brings the effective cost down into the low $50's after you factor in the cost of the money.

So if you bought two for $90 then you paid $45/each. For another $6,000 you could have gone brand new with a 150,000 mile warranty. Where is the value in the used one?
    If you can qualify me for 0% financing I will buy one right now. Im not buying my cars cash. I dont have that kind of money. Plus I bought my escalades about 2 years ago. I want the esv loaded with the dvd option and the 22'' wheel package.
    President
    Charles A. Kuritz
    www.westfieldlimo.com

Rick zero. I run only Ford and Lincoln products. Years ago I ran Cadillac and they were always in the shop. I have a Navigator L that I use now. If I were to buy new right now I would buy the Expedition L and save 10k. You can get one loaded for high 30's or right around 40k depending upon options.
    does the navigator or expedition have the same amount of luggage space as the esv.
    President
    Charles A. Kuritz
    www.westfieldlimo.com

Default Expedition EL's

I run two 2007 Exedition EL's. Both are black with black leather interior and fully loaded. I paid $ 37,000 each new. I have about 70,000 miles on each of them and not a single wear or repair issue to date. In fact, even the tires are still factory(all but one blow out - michigan roads)

The rear space is not as big as the Excursion was or even the pre 2007 Suburbans were, but my old Suburbans were crap compared to these. The road noise was unbare-able.

The Exp El's are quiet, comfy and very luxurious.

My next SUV's will be the same. In fact, if anybody is looking.......I can let one go now for $20,000. If not, I expect to get 150k on these with no issues at all.

When you say that you have to replace the differentials, front and back, do you mean every part contained therein?

More often that not, the problem is simply a spider gear, and sometimes the axels, but rarely much else.

You would have to beat the hell out of it to tear everything up. I have 50 cops abusing cruisers all day and night, including several SUVs, and the spider is the problem 99% of the time when it comes to differential noises and slippage, same on my limos.

That particular repair should not be more than $800 or so, parts and labor. $4K, even for front and back, seems just obscene. I'd get another opinion were I you.

Quote Originally Posted by BirmLimo - Michael Birmingham View Post
    I run two 2007 Exedition EL's. Both are black with black leather interior and fully loaded. I paid $ 37,000 each new. I have about 70,000 miles on each of them and not a single wear or repair issue to date. In fact, even the tires are still factory(all but one blow out - michigan roads)

The rear space is not as big as the Excursion was or even the pre 2007 Suburbans were, but my old Suburbans were crap compared to these. The road noise was unbare-able.

The Exp El's are quiet, comfy and very luxurious.

My next SUV's will be the same. In fact, if anybody is looking.......I can let one go now for $20,000. If not, I expect to get 150k on these with no issues at all.
    are the customers happy wiht a ford or lincoln product. when i mention escalade they seem to be very impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Salicete View Post
    When you say that you have to replace the differentials, front and back, do you mean every part contained therein?

More often that not, the problem is simply a spider gear, and sometimes the axels, but rarely much else.

You would have to beat the hell out of it to tear everything up. I have 50 cops abusing cruisers all day and night, including several SUVs, and the spider is the problem 99% of the time when it comes to differential noises and slippage, same on my limos.

That particular repair should not be more than $800 or so, parts and labor. $4K, even for front and back, seems just obscene. I'd get another opinion were I you.
    the rear is about 1300 with tax and the had to replace the ring and pinon, carrier and an axle bearing. The fron it about 1700 for the whole differental.
    President
    Charles A. Kuritz
    www.westfieldlimo.com

I find it rather peculiar that you can talk down about a product and brand that you haven't experienced in "years".

But, I do find something even more odd. You are willing to downgrade your clients from Lincoln to Ford to save yourself some money on SUV purchases. Yet, I am willing to bet that you would never consider purchasing either Grand Marquis or Crown Vic products (when they were still available) to save yourself money on sedans. It is exactly the same concept. I will grant you that you know your particuar market better then anyone else; but in the Tri-State, NY-NJ-CT markets luxury limousine services are operating luxury brands and the glorified taxi-services/black car services are using other brands. Perhaps your market is either differen or less sophisticated. Although one of the black car services that has on occcasion posted here, only uses Town Car L's, DTS-L's, and ESV's.
    Last edited by Rick E.; July 17th, 2009 at 06:54 PM.
    Rick E.
    City Limousine Sales

www.citylimosales.com