Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom license plates anyone?

Default Custom license plates anyone?

Does anyone have custom/vanity plates on their vehicles? I am asking about the actual license plates issued by the state. I am thinking of maybe paying the extra few bucks and looking for some ideas. The state of Florida has many different specialty tags available: http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/specialtytags/ with or with out personalizing the text. Thanks for any suggestions.
    David Pankretic
    Orlando Executive Limousine Inc.
    www.OrlandoExecutiveLimousine.com
    Toll Free (800) 407-0053
    Local (407) 402-3200

I want to do WLS 1 for my plates. It takes about 10 weeks in jersey.
    President
    Charles A. Kuritz
    Westfield Limousine Service Inc.
    www.westfieldlimo.com
    ckuritz@westfieldlimo.com

I have custom/vanity plates. In Kansas, they cost $46. That is the only way that you get a front license plate in the state of Kansas. I do it for multiple reasons.

1.) Easier to identify sedans outside the terminals at KCI, especially the specific sedan you are supposed to get into.
    2.) Advertising purposes. A lot of the time there is going to be a car behind you on the interstate that reads your plate. A vanity plate coupled with a license plate frame with the full name of the company is just one more impression you have made. Also, I have had other limo services call me after seeing me out because they saw the plate.
    3.) The "creative" use of numbers on the license plate can play a little mind control pyschology game on the public, and that includes employees from other companies. Let me explain... I have 2 vehicles in my fleet...a 120 stretch limo and a Lincoln TC sedan. The license plate on the stretch is "BLVD 1" while on the sedan it is "BLVD 21". (Side note: When I was looking for a name for my service, I wanted something that could easily be abbreviated and still make sense is 4, 5 letters max., or less so that I could put it on the license plate. Boulevard only came after driving down a street and seeing one of Kansas City's many signs that say "Boulevard" and I started rolling it around on my head and it worked for me.) Now, you may ask..."Why not 'BLVD 2' on the sedan?" Well, I have a numbering scheme. 1-10 is for stretch limos. 11-20 is for SUVs (when I buy my first SUV, the license plate will read 'BLVD 11'). 21-50 is reserved for sedans. Past that, I don't have a scheme as of yet. 51-60 may be vans, 61-70 may be mini-coaches, 71-80 may be limo busses. Not really sure. Now, when I am driving around, people see 'BLVD 21' on the license plate. It gives them the impression that I am a larger company that what I really am. I want them to feel confident that I will be able to service their needs whatever and whenever that may be. I mean, they see 21 on the license plate and most automatically assume that Boulevard Limousine must have 21 vehicles or better. I don't. It is just a numbering scheme I chose. Oh, and the reason for the "banks" of numbers is so that I can quickly look at what vehicles are out and know immediately what type of vehicle it is. Each vehicle does have a second number for maintenance purposes (401 for the sedan, 801 for the stretch...max passenger capacities and number in order of vehicle purchase in case you were wondering on those). And using the numbering system like that so I have '21' on the license plate, I have had people from other companies come up to me and ask if the company has 21 cars already thinking that I am going to take over the town!!!

Well, I hope my reasonings and ramblings made sense. I know that I get web hits from time to time from across Kansas City as a result of the license plates. I know this because of the search terms used and the location of the IP address that are recorded. Some of the address locations I have no advertising in so they would have no reason to search for my company unless they saw the car out there.
    Last edited by BLVD Limo; July 13th, 2009 at 06:56 AM.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Blog Entries

This is my opinion on this. Sure I have thought about it. That being said, is it really worth the added expense every year (most states it is a yearly fee for vanity tags). People are not going to really care what your license plate says. I have the plate frames and you can get a lot more text on them (web address, phone #).

I think (again my opinion) a web address is easier to remember than "WLS1" or "MMLS6" or what have you.

Take that money that you would spend and put it into marketing somewhere else. Sure they look cool to you or your competitirs but I don't think the average consumer really cares.

The flipside would be if you have 15 cars and your drivers cant figure out where to find the unit numbers on the lot.....then again you could just go and put some address numbers and stick them to the back of the rear view mirror...instant unit number.

I think it is a waste of money. Use it somewhere else!

Jim

I have custom tags on my town car, cost in ny about 35.00 EXTRA ON TOP OF ORIGINAL COST.

How about EXEC LIMO

And in response to Jim's comment about the cost...the $46 I pay is a one time fee for the issuing of the license plate itself (process, stamp the plate, mail). It doesn't make sense to me why they would charge an annual fee to use the vanity plate.

In response to Tony...there is a company here called Executive Limousines. They put "EXEC ##" on their license plates, but unlike mine, their numbers are sequential. Carey franchise has "CARY-##" or "##-CARY" on their plates, or for their stretches, "CAREY-#" or "#-CAREY" on the plate. We only have 7 spaces to play with here is Kansas.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

New York you can get 8 spaces.

More response to Jim's comment. Again, these are just my opinions, so don't be hatin'!

Even if there was an annual cost for you to maintain the vanity plate, I cannot imagine that it is too much. Even if it were $50 or $100 a year to maintain it, to me it would be worth it. It is a form of advertising. Your vanity plate acts just like a billboard on the side of the road. Your plate is there, where people are looking, and has big bold letters on it. Unlike the license plate frame, the vanity plate can be read by several people from several different lanes at distances of 75 feet or better because it has the big bold letters on it. For you to read the text on the frame, you pretty much have to be the car immediately behind the limo and you must be pretty close to the limo, almost tailgating, because of the small text.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post
    More response to Jim's comment. Again, these are just my opinions, so don't be hatin'!

Even if there was an annual cost for you to maintain the vanity plate, I cannot imagine that it is too much. Even if it were $50 or $100 a year to maintain it, to me it would be worth it. It is a form of advertising. Your vanity plate acts just like a billboard on the side of the road. Your plate is there, where people are looking, and has big bold letters on it. Unlike the license plate frame, the vanity plate can be read by several people from several different lanes at distances of 75 feet or better because it has the big bold letters on it. For you to read the text on the frame, you pretty much have to be the car immediately behind the limo and you must be pretty close to the limo, almost tailgating, because of the small text.
    I agree, it is a form of advertising, and probably the cheapest you will ever get. The frame around the plate, you have to be right on the bumper to read that at 65/70 mph.

I pay a little extra every year to run FL USMC Plates or, I pay a little extra to run "get out of jail free" plates.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Blog Entries

Tim do you know how many extra websites and domain names I can buy and set up and maintain with that $50 to $100 per year???

To each his own.

Jim

We have custom plates on our vehicles. Another way of "branding" for us.

Kathy
    City Heat Limousine

Blog Entries

I guess I am being a cheap-skate, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim30 View Post
    Tim do you know how many extra websites and domain names I can buy and set up and maintain with that $50 to $100 per year???

To each his own.

Jim
    True, but like I said...in Kansas it is a one time $46 expense. And I am able to get it in front of people's eyes just by driving the car back and forth to the airport and around town while providing service to clients. And like I said before, it prompts people to go to the internet and type in "Boulevard Limo KC" and they find my company online.

Now...how much are people paying for billboards? It's $800 just for the vinyl in my area. $46 or $800? Hmm....Both pretty much do the same job...put your name in front of potential clients.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

I like them if they make sense, for example my cars are all SLVFX 01 and up. I can't tell you how many times an older couple has walked by, saw my plates and thought it was the cat's pajamas. I always shake my head and wonder though when a company is paying the $45 one time fee and the $25 per year to put things like LCL or SRL on their cars, because there is no way that virtually anyone who sees it has any clue what the hell those initials mean.