Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bridal Shows?

Default Bridal Shows?

How many of you go to bridal shows? Do you think its worth $1,000+ for one day?
    I offer Search engine optimization for Limo Companies. Our main limo website has had over 9.6 million hits. Some of my clients: www.FirstClassLimos.net Rome Tours Tours in Rome Limo Service Philadelphia www.PartyBusToledo.com

Call us at 1-888-51-LIMOS (54667) For referral work in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus, Toledo, & Pittsburgh PA and all cities in between - over 15,000+ customers and counting!

$1,000? is that how much a booth costs? ive personally never been to one but was thinking about just sending someone there to talk to people and hand out cards, would cost more close to $50-100.

naa most of the bigger bridal shows are $500 to $1000 for the smallest booth. I've been to a few before but I want to hear a few opinions first before I let mine out
    I offer Search engine optimization for Limo Companies. Our main limo website has had over 9.6 million hits. Some of my clients: www.FirstClassLimos.net Rome Tours Tours in Rome Limo Service Philadelphia www.PartyBusToledo.com

Call us at 1-888-51-LIMOS (54667) For referral work in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus, Toledo, & Pittsburgh PA and all cities in between - over 15,000+ customers and counting!

In Ireland they are called Wedding fairs and are held on Sundays by hotels who cater to weddings, they will have an event management company put the show togeather with various venders, it costs about $450 to attend extra if you want to park cars at the hotel entrance, on a spring Sunday up to 8 hotels in Dublin can have these shows on, we however don't bother attending for the reason we got NO business when we did. WE have just started a wedding vendors group with one business from each category, florist, limousines, wedding planner, tux hire, gown shop and a department store ( for the gift registary), with the idea of sharing leads and referrals, we meet every two weeks for two hours and while just getting started we have big plans..
    Myles Flood
    Limos for Less
    www.lflcs.com
    www.limosforless.ie
    Dublin's Award Winning Limousine Service.

I get more business handing cards while drinking socially and playing pool. I'm not talking about networking "on purpose" in the bars. But when I go out, I almost always meet some good contacts and exchange information.

I've gone to bridal shows back when I managed another company and I would definately book some jobs. It was actually a lot of fun flirting with all the maids of honors(most at least). But I personally don't think it is worth it for the small companies like mine.

Chamber of commerce was a big waste of time for me also. I know some of you swear by it, but like I said earlier, I get more business meeting people at a bar.

I believe in networking as much as possible, but I don't believe you should have to pay to do it.
    Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Limo Kings Limousine Service
    www.limokings.net

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Levine View Post
    I get more business handing cards while drinking socially and playing pool. I'm not talking about networking "on purpose" in the bars. But when I go out, I almost always meet some good contacts and exchange information.

I've gone to bridal shows back when I managed another company and I would definately book some jobs. It was actually a lot of fun flirting with all the maids of honors(most at least). But I personally don't think it is worth it for the small companies like mine.

Chamber of commerce was a big waste of time for me also. I know some of you swear by it, but like I said earlier, I get more business meeting people at a bar.

I believe in networking as much as possible, but I don't believe you should have to pay to do it.
    What were you doing with the chamber of commerece.
    President
    Charles A. Kuritz
    Westfield Limousine Service Inc.
    www.westfieldlimo.com
    ckuritz@westfieldlimo.com

I agree Geoff, most companies can network plenty just from daily routine. I have run companies 30+ limousine then it pays to do bridal shows.
    I want to die while asleep like my grandfather,
    not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

ROI. How many weddings do you need to book to make up the booth costs. Branding and one on one interaction is priceless in my opinion.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

It depends to on how many other limo companies are attending the same show. If you have 5-10 nice cars you should really not have a problem booking them for weddings. You make a good point though 2-3 weddings will cover your cost for attending the show.
    I want to die while asleep like my grandfather,
    not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Wire View Post
    It depends to on how many other limo companies are attending the same show. If you have 5-10 nice cars you should really not have a problem booking them for weddings. You make a good point though 2-3 weddings will cover your cost for attending the show.
    We have done shows without even bringing our cars. It is all about your one on one time...impress and sell. Bring your date book (BB), contract, and cc machine and get them to book right there. Great way to network with other industries in the wedding business too.
    Rich Rottier

Quote Originally Posted by wflimonj View Post
    What were you doing with the chamber of commerece.
    They get you to join and then they have all sorts of mixers and chances to network. Unfortunately, I feel that it's just a bunch of people who don't know how to network on their own. I would much rather organize a temecula wine tour and invite a bunch of concierge and bartenders. Now that's networking.
    Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Limo Kings Limousine Service
    www.limokings.net

Nice idea Geoff and that is where I am about to go with this. The decision to be at a bridal show has many variables. I personally don't waste my time or money purely because of an extremely poor ROI.

Here is one variable: How many limos are in your city? If you live in a small city and your competitior is at the bridal show but only has two cars, let him throw his money away and book a couple brides. Once his cars are tied up, they have to find limos somewhere else so eventually they will come calling and you have the opportunity to sell one-on-one without spending anymore money.

Let's think about brides in general. Not exactly great clients! They charter for one single day of their life for a few hours in most cases and you are DONE! Stick a fork in your eye. IF you are lucky, you might get a first year anniversary dinner gig but that is a big IF!

Now, let's look at ROI. Let's say the cost is $750. Let's say that you manage to book three jobs out of this. You might say that is cost you $250 per booking in this case. That means that the first $250 you collect from each one is placed in the bridal show fee and you make no money AND you will never have an opportunity to make money from them again. Remember, the wedding is only a one day, one time affair. Let's say you had a spectacular day and booked 10 jobs. Now, that is only $75 per job. Basically you are giving away about an hour of service. Except that you will no doubt buy supplies for your booth. You may take a car out of service for display at the booth and you will spend time at the booth and time is money. If you have employees or bring an employee with you, there is even more expense. Just four hours of your time is easily valued at another $100 spent on the event. All for the chance to pickup a single client for a single day.

Let me give you some other ideas that will have a far better ROI -

#1 - Travel Agent Mixer

Send an e-mail or flyer to every single travel agent in town. Ask them to join you and other travel professionals for a Travel Industry Mixer at the Holiday Inn or other hotel. Ask the hotel manager to comp a meeting room in exchange for giving him a five minute slot to talk about the hotel. Serve wine and cheese. Provide a ten minute overview of your company, rates for airport transfers, hourly charters, vehicle types and special services. This whole thing will cost you $400 to $500 dollars.

You will pickup a ton of repeat business and create a small army of salespeople. You may get as many as 20 orders over the next 90 days bringing your cost to about $22.50 per job!

#2 - Funeral Directors Association Dinner

You probably have a local funeral directors association. Offer to sponsor their Christmas Party or other regular dinner and pickup the tab for dinner. It may very well be $1000 but if you can get these guys ordering from you, the ROI is through the roof. I picked up five funeral homes who feed us six days a week with work. This is truly REPEAT business and not a one time shot.

On another note, I am very involved in my Chamber including attending all mixers, trade shows and events. Every single one of them has a bar. We sponsor Chamber events and actively participate on committees which is where you REALLY meet people and get to tell them about what you do and they become ambassdors for you.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Great points Jim, but I would disagree on the bridal shows and brides as clients. Just like any run, they are a type of advertisement. You better believe they will pass your name on if you are good. Guests at the wedding will see you and also ask. Don't forget about the bachelor and bachelorette parties. Also, family vacations, babies' first ride home, graduations, proms, funerals, they own a business and now use you for their corporate outings, etc. If you do well with the wedding, chances are you will be able to handle anymore of their transportation needs - be choosy on your clientele, now that is the key. As far as the actual run...4 hours and the cars move 40 miles apiece. Little to no gas, oil, tires, brakes, suspension, odds of collision, etc. Airport run is exponentially higher cost of operation than weddings. Weddings take a lot of work and attention to detail. Anyone can do an airport run in my opinion. Now funerals, I like funerals, just hard to get into from what I have seen. Some bridal shows are more expensive than others, best thing to do is ask around to find out which one has the best turnout.

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Scene View Post
    Nice idea Geoff and that is where I am about to go with this. The decision to be at a bridal show has many variables. I personally don't waste my time or money purely because of an extremely poor ROI.

Here is one variable: How many limos are in your city? If you live in a small city and your competitior is at the bridal show but only has two cars, let him throw his money away and book a couple brides. Once his cars are tied up, they have to find limos somewhere else so eventually they will come calling and you have the opportunity to sell one-on-one without spending anymore money.

Let's think about brides in general. Not exactly great clients! They charter for one single day of their life for a few hours in most cases and you are DONE! Stick a fork in your eye. IF you are lucky, you might get a first year anniversary dinner gig but that is a big IF!

Now, let's look at ROI. Let's say the cost is $750. Let's say that you manage to book three jobs out of this. You might say that is cost you $250 per booking in this case. That means that the first $250 you collect from each one is placed in the bridal show fee and you make no money AND you will never have an opportunity to make money from them again. Remember, the wedding is only a one day, one time affair. Let's say you had a spectacular day and booked 10 jobs. Now, that is only $75 per job. Basically you are giving away about an hour of service. Except that you will no doubt buy supplies for your booth. You may take a car out of service for display at the booth and you will spend time at the booth and time is money. If you have employees or bring an employee with you, there is even more expense. Just four hours of your time is easily valued at another $100 spent on the event. All for the chance to pickup a single client for a single day.

Let me give you some other ideas that will have a far better ROI -

#1 - Travel Agent Mixer

Send an e-mail or flyer to every single travel agent in town. Ask them to join you and other travel professionals for a Travel Industry Mixer at the Holiday Inn or other hotel. Ask the hotel manager to comp a meeting room in exchange for giving him a five minute slot to talk about the hotel. Serve wine and cheese. Provide a ten minute overview of your company, rates for airport transfers, hourly charters, vehicle types and special services. This whole thing will cost you $400 to $500 dollars.

You will pickup a ton of repeat business and create a small army of salespeople. You may get as many as 20 orders over the next 90 days bringing your cost to about $22.50 per job!

#2 - Funeral Directors Association Dinner

You probably have a local funeral directors association. Offer to sponsor their Christmas Party or other regular dinner and pickup the tab for dinner. It may very well be $1000 but if you can get these guys ordering from you, the ROI is through the roof. I picked up five funeral homes who feed us six days a week with work. This is truly REPEAT business and not a one time shot.

On another note, I am very involved in my Chamber including attending all mixers, trade shows and events. Every single one of them has a bar. We sponsor Chamber events and actively participate on committees which is where you REALLY meet people and get to tell them about what you do and they become ambassdors for you.
    Rich Rottier

Blog Entries

We have been faithfully committed to our local wedding shows for over Twenty years. We usually place a limousine in the building and set it up with a red carpet and wedding bells and streamers just as if it were at a wedding ceremony. At the show we offer a Ten dollar discount for bookings for the up-coming year, buy the end of the Three day event we have always made above and beyond the cost of the rental space. We do get a discount for being a part of the show for so many years, but the cost and time involved is well worth it. I believe that placing a Limousine at the venue is a great visual marketing idea, the only drawback is the Limousine is unavailable for Three days, but then again after it is all said and done the up-coming bookings are worth it all. I have not only received wedding bookings through these shows but Bachlorette Parties, and even a couple corprate accounts over the years. I recommend these events only because they have proven to be quite profitable for our area and market.

Bridal Shows

Not only a chance to interact with all the Princesses

Also the chance to hobknob with all of those Vendors who get to deal & establish raport with the young ladies many months before the Bride decides it's time to book a car, or 2 or 3 ........

For those who operate in areas whereas the bridal car is no more than a Chevy PU with a couple of Coors Cans tied to the ass end, Bridal shows will not pay off. For the rest, depends on how you work the show & what contacts you make.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill