Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HID Headlight Review - Upgrade...

Blog Entries

Default HID Headlight Review - Upgrade...

Alright, I have always liked to have bright lights in any car, especially in a limousine. Seeing whats on the side of the road before you get to it is very important. I always upgraded my headlight bulbs to Sylvania Silver-Star Ultra bulbs, they are by-far the best bulbs on the market. Last week I purchased a 9007 HID conversion kit on Ebay for $75 shipped and just got it installed tonight in the 120" Lincoln. It took about 1.5 hours for the first time but the book said 2 hours so I didn't do too bad on installation time. On the first try I found one crossed set of wires on the plug that goes into the factory harness, this was a quick-fix and the instructions even said that some cars may be wired this way, 50-50 chance. Once these two wires were switched the system fired right up.

After pulling the car out of the shop and doing a little headlight adjustment I went for a drive to test them out.... WOW !!! What a total difference !!! They advertise that this set of HID dual-beam lights are 3-times brighter than normal bulbs and I am now a true believer in that statement. I can see without any yellow effect, just pure White and so bright that they cast shadows behind objects in thier path (this will take some getting used to).

I have purchased a second kit and will install it on the Premier Party Palace party bus shortly, I am SOLD !!!

For anyone looking to convert I suggest the 4300k kit. Although you would think that the higher number (9000k) would be brighter, it isn't. The number indicated the color of the light projected, 4300k being the Whitest and brightest and 9000k being only 2 times brighter and more purple than White. The Blue that you see on some cars is around 5300k, less bright than the 4300k but more Blue in color.

The ones I purchased were sold as 4300k dual-beam, do NOT get single beam if you have a 2-headlight system, otherwise your bright lights will not work. Mine ran me right at $75 bucks shipped on Ebay. A worthy investment.

The kit included:
    2 HID dual-beam bulbs
    2 HID Ballast
    Wiring harness
    All hardware needed to complete the installation.

Hook-up consists of:
    Figuring out the mess of wires
    Installing bulbs in headlight assemblies
    Mounting ballasts somewhere that doesn't get hot.
    1 positive wire to battery
    2 ground wires (one per side)

FYI: The HID system takes about 10 seconds to achieve full brightness at first start. Once they are warmed and working they are instant in switching from low to high beam. They are also instant to turn on once turned off until ballasts cool down.

FYI: if headlights work but strobes light mad, the two wires are reversed.
    Last edited by Digger; July 6th, 2009 at 01:12 AM.

Two questions, Digger:
    1) How does this change in your lights affect oncoming drivers?
    2) "if headlights work but strobes light mad," What does this statement mean?
    Marc Rold
    Wild Horse Limousine
    www.wildhorselimo.com

2) "if headlights work but strobes light mad," What does this statement mean? : then you hooked it up wrong, so if it is wrong the problem is : the two wires are reversed
    I offer Search engine optimization for Limo Companies. Our main limo website has had over 9.6 million hits. Some of my clients: www.FirstClassLimos.net Rome Tours Tours in Rome Limo Service Philadelphia www.PartyBusToledo.com

Call us at 1-888-51-LIMOS (54667) For referral work in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus, Toledo, & Pittsburgh PA and all cities in between - over 15,000+ customers and counting!

Please be careful with ebay auto parts. Get a quality set from a reputable seller. In the future let ne know when you need more. I have a guy who does a lifetime warranty on replacement bulbs.

The brighter the hid the better around nyc. Pink, purple, and green oh my. Pink is 12k and you can see anything at night with them. Horrible. People used to steal the maxima or escalade headlights and use them as hids.
    President
    Charles A. Kuritz
    Westfield Limousine Service Inc.
    www.westfieldlimo.com
    ckuritz@westfieldlimo.com

Blog Entries

I drove for about 1 hour last night and never had anyone flash thier brights at me. Alignment is the problem here, people upgrade to HID's and don't re-adjust the headlights, which makes people flash back at you. I re-adjusted mine down before leaving the shop to avoid this.

Quote Originally Posted by First Class Limos View Post
    2) "if headlights work but strobes light mad," What does this statement mean? : then you hooked it up wrong, so if it is wrong the problem is : the two wires are reversed
    The phrase "strobes light mad" is incorrect and has no discernable meaning to me. I want to understand the meaning of the referenced statement, not the consequence or the repair resulting from whatever condition I assume is being described. When people use words incorrectly it becomes a guessing game about what is meant and clear communication is not taking place. In this case especially I do not understand. Words are important if clear communication is to be achieved.
    Marc Rold
    Wild Horse Limousine
    www.wildhorselimo.com

"Strobes like mad" means that they are flashing as a very high rate like strobe lights. Strobe means short burst of light. Mad is slang for crazy. Does that make sense and help?
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Thank you, Tim. If "strobes like mad" is what Digger meant to say, then I understand the meaning of his statement. I know what a strobe light is. I know what the verb form "strobes" means. I also recognize the meaning of the slang phrase "like mad". I was having trouble with the plural noun "strobes" coupled with the singular noun "light" preceding the multiple meaning adjective "mad", all of which followed the plural noun "headlights". As a people we Americans do a terrible job of communicating using one of the most expressive, clearly structured languages in the world. No wonder we are so often misunderstood :-)
    Last edited by ADAM; July 6th, 2009 at 05:44 PM. Reason: clarify
    Marc Rold
    Wild Horse Limousine
    www.wildhorselimo.com

Can you please post the link from Ebay where you bought it. I would like to see the item and the seller on ebay.

Kind regards
    ~blue.

Blog Entries

Marc, chill dude, everyone understood the statement except for you. My apologies that I don't have a Masters in grammar like you do. Maybe you can understand this... "If your headlights quickly flash on and off, similar to the effect of a strobe light, then you have wired it incorrectly". I figured that "strobes like mad" got the meaning across to everyone just fine.

Blog Entries

Ebay item #: 200350881140

Quote Originally Posted by wflimonj View Post
    Please be careful with ebay auto parts. Get a quality set from a reputable seller. In the future let ne know when you need more. I have a guy who does a lifetime warranty on replacement bulbs.

The brighter the hid the better around nyc. Pink, purple, and green oh my. Pink is 12k and you can see anything at night with them. Horrible. People used to steal the maxima or escalade headlights and use them as hids.
    Yeah, I bought some off ebay and they burned out the headlight harness and that wasn't cheap to replace. I vowed not to mess with the bright bulbs again as my mechanic smirked as he handed me the bill.

But I have to admit, I am like Digger and really like the look and the increased night vision. So if anyone has any rock solid experience with something good for an Excursion, please let me know. But even though I understand what Digger was saying about the "strobe like mad" comment, I'll pay someone to do it for me this time.
    Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Limo Kings Limousine Service
    www.limokings.net

Quote Originally Posted by ADAM View Post
    Thank you, Tim. If "strobes like mad" is what Digger meant to say, then I understand the meaning of his statement. I know what a strobe light is. I know what the verb form "strobes" means. I also recognize the meaning of the slang phrase "like mad". I was having trouble with the plural noun "strobes" coupled with the singular noun "light" preceding the multiple meaning adjective "mad", all of which followed the plural noun "headlights". As a people we Americans do a terrible job of communicating using one of the most expressive, clearly structured languages in the world. No wonder we are so often misunderstood :-)
    I get it now! I see the problem! I just read "strobes light mad" as "strobes like mad." I think that is how most everyone else read it. It is sort of like the Columbia University statement with all the words misspelled. I think my brain just automatically substituted the correct word in. I couldn't understand what the problem was with the statement, but now that I have reread it about 10 times, I see the problem!

Sorry...my light bulb is a little dim today. Maybe I need to get an HID idea light bulb?
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Blog Entries

Ahh, I see where I goofed now. It has to do with the way I have my spell-checker and auto-correction software set, I must have spelled "like" wrong so it substituted the word with "light". Since "light" was spelled correctly it didn't underline the word and highlight the miss-spelling.

I always re-read each post before or just after posting and I didn't catch it. My apologies.

Ok I am an expert in this department. Here is two of my rides:

The hummer has ebay HID converted headlights, HID Euro beam Fog lights, and HID brush guard mounted driving beam lights.

The viper has the stock HID lights with projector, stock bright beams, ebay HID converted fog lights with mod to be able to keep fog lights on with the brights if needed. With 800 horsepower you need alot of light at night : )

It is very important to see at night while driving. The ebay kits work very nice to double or triple the output of your headlights, just make sure you have them aimed correctly.

Also here is my newest custom made LED flashlight with 3 quad core LEDs.

You would not believe how bright it is if I told you.
    Last edited by First Class Limos; July 7th, 2009 at 11:49 AM.
    I offer Search engine optimization for Limo Companies. Our main limo website has had over 9.6 million hits. Some of my clients: www.FirstClassLimos.net Rome Tours Tours in Rome Limo Service Philadelphia www.PartyBusToledo.com

Call us at 1-888-51-LIMOS (54667) For referral work in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus, Toledo, & Pittsburgh PA and all cities in between - over 15,000+ customers and counting!