Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 59

Thread: Marketing Commercial

  1. #1
    Super Moderator Limo Scene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA 93307
    Posts
    3,419

    Default

    As previously promised, I would like to share my ideas of an industry commercial that could be produced in any market and the "tagged" with your own company name in your own market. Keep in mind, TV spots are 30 seconds. You have 30 seconds to convey your message and drive it home. You must leave enough time to end it with a "voiceover" which says something similar to "ABC Limousine Service, serving the greater Atlanta area since 1982". Don't worry about getting your phone number in a 30 second genric spot. The goal is to get your name and theimage shown driven in. When people want a product, they will remember the name and where to get it. They will look the name up in the phone book. They are not going to jump up and grab a pen and paper because of this spot. That's not what this type of spot is all about.

    All the tech stuff being said, here we go with my version of the first spot. Please give me YOUR adeas and together we will perfect it.

    Exterior shot of airport

    Zoom to yellow cab in front of airport

    Businessman rushes to waiting cab with coffee
    and briefcase in hand, overnight bag on shoulder. (note: light cream colored coat)

    Places coffee on roof of cab, opens door, puts overnight bag in, then briefcase, then gets in leaving coffee on roof. As soon as door closes, cabbie "punches it", coffee falls of roof. Cab speeds off out of camera range.

    Cab parked in front of modern business office.
    Passenger seen walking away from cab with hair standing straight up,necktie loose, shirt untucked (walks toward camera, then past camera to office doors revealing a dirty, soiled cream colored coat).

    Voiceover: Professional limousine service is NOT a luxury - it's a necessity. For a few dollars more, professional is defined.
    * Voiceover begins with scene change to the following:

    Black towncar parked in front of same airport with trunk open, pax door open and chauffeur grabbing bag/briefcase from pax (cut).

    Glimpse of pax reading Wall Street Journal enroute.

    Local Voiceover:

    "ABC Limousine Service, a professional company serving the greater Atlanta area since 1982".

    ************** E N D ***********************

    Okay guys/gals, tell me what you think.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

    Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

  2. #2
    Senior Member Limo Padawan
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Clinton, NJ
    Posts
    397

    Default

    That's great Jim, really good. About the only additional thing that comes to mind with the Cab spot is maybe adding some "cab Rollercoaster" shots.

    How about a spot targeted toward rental cars:

    Interior shot of airport:

    Two executives walking down the concourse, short interchange between them. Something like "hey Charlie, how's the competition today...Not bad Fred, good luck at your meeting".

    Exterior shot at airport:

    Fred walks out, crosses sidewalk and enters a limousine, camera pans to right to find Charlie standing at the shuttle bus pick-up area looks toward the entrance ramp and checks his watch with a worried look.

    Interior shot of limousine, Fred is checking over his proposal he looks confident and serene.

    Scene fades to Charlie struggling off crowded shuttle bus and turns to face a major mob scene at the rental car counter.

    Interior scene of corporate conference room, Fred is given rapt attention while he delivers his presentation, scene fades to Charlie in his rental car, looking at a map (or stuck in traffic) looking haggard.

    Scene of corporate office, Fred walks out with his arm on the shoulder of the CEO, they are going to lunch, they look like they are now the best of friends joking and laughing. They pass Charlie at the reception desk; Fred gives Charlie a knowing smile, as Fred is informed that Mr. Big has canceled his meeting because he was late.

    Voice over added as needed.

    Matt Harrison
    AAA Guaranteed On-Time Limousine, Clinton NJ
    Matt Harrison
    AAA Guaranteed On-Time Limousine, Clinton NJ

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Lupton mich USA
    Posts
    2,128

    Default

    Great work Guys. Now Tom, was that so difficult?????

    David E. Merrill
    David E. Merrill

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Limo Scene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA 93307
    Posts
    3,419

    Default

    I LOVE it Matt. We can do both and rotate them!
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

    Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member Wade Randolph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA USA
    Posts
    2,472

    Default

    Look guys the sedan airport commercial is a great idea if it was a national commercial to promote sedan instead of taxi use. But,we are talking about advertising to our local markets. People in Bakersfield, Baton Rouge, New Orleans and Michigan arent using taxis or rental cars to ride to the airport. Go to your local airport and you will see the locals getting dropped off by friends and relatives or using their own cars and parking. If you are going to advertise airport sedan transportation in your local market you should gear the commercial toward taking the locals out of their own cars and parking and into your sedans. Except for the New York market most locals dont used cab service. What your talking about with this airport sedan commercial is changing the way people think and talking them into spending more money than they already are. You are going to need a large budget to talk people out of these free rides to the airport. The easiest market to tap with local commercials would be limousine rides. Such as a wedding commercial where there is a real need and they probably are considering the use of a limo anyway. Also another good local use of sedans or limousines would be the DWI ad. This ad could open with a guy being handcuffed in the back of a police car, the next shot shows his family bailing him out of jail, the next shot shows him paying an attorney. It also might show how much this DWI has cost him. Our figures here in my state show that a first offence can cost you up to $5,000 with court cost, attorney's fees, fines and increased insurance cost. The next part of the commercial might show the same guy getting out of a new limo or sedan at his home at the end of a night out asking this question. WOULD YOU RATHER PAY $5,000 AND END UP IN JAIL OR PAY $500 FOR THIS NIGHT OUT AND SLEEP IN YOUR OWN BED? This is just my example of how it could work.
    Guys like I said I think the sedan airport commercial is great but its not really applicable to most of us.

    Wade Randolph

  6. #6
    Senior Member Limo Padawan
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Clinton, NJ
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Point Well Taken Wade!!!!


    And suggestions for stretch limousine ads are....

    Come on folks, let's keep this ball rolling!!




    Just adding one point Wade,

    I think it would be great to have several types of adds to run. You say "we are talking about advertising to our local market" true sir, how true indeed, but sedans to the airport are my local market! If stretch limousines are your local market, we should have some of those too. Let's not get into the "mine and yours" but make it "ours". Lets kick around ideas for ads for all types of service!!!


    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wade Randolph:
    Look guys the sedan airport commercial is a great idea if it was a national commercial to promote sedan instead of taxi use. But,we are talking about advertising to our local markets. People in Bakersfield, Baton Rouge, New Orleans and Michigan arent using taxis or rental cars to ride to the airport. Go to your local airport and you will see the locals getting dropped off by friends and relatives or using their own cars and parking. If you are going to advertise airport sedan transportation in your local market you should gear the commercial toward taking the locals out of their own cars and parking and into your sedans. Except for the New York market most locals dont used cab service. What your talking about with this airport sedan commercial is changing the way people think and talking them into spending more money than they already are. You are going to need a large budget to talk people out of these free rides to the airport. The easiest market to tap with local commercials would be limousine rides. Such as a wedding commercial where there is a real need and they probably are considering the use of a limo anyway. Also another good local use of sedans or limousines would be the DWI ad. This ad could open with a guy being handcuffed in the back of a police car, the next shot shows his family bailing him out of jail, the next shot shows him paying an attorney. It also might show how much this DWI has cost him. Our figures here in my state show that a first offence can cost you up to $5,000 with court cost, attorney's fees, fines and increased insurance cost. The next part of the commercial might show the same guy getting out of a new limo or sedan at his home at the end of a night out asking this question. WOULD YOU RATHER PAY $5,000 AND END UP IN JAIL OR PAY $500 FOR THIS NIGHT OUT AND SLEEP IN YOUR OWN BED? This is just my example of how it could work.
    Guys like I said I think the sedan airport commercial is great but its not really applicable to most of us.

    Wade Randolph<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Matt Harrison
    AAA Guaranteed On-Time Limousine, Clinton NJ

    [This message was edited by AAA/GOT on July 20, 2003 at 01:48 PM.]
    Matt Harrison
    AAA Guaranteed On-Time Limousine, Clinton NJ

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Lupton mich USA
    Posts
    2,128

    Default

    Here is some of the material I am currently using:

    Radio Spot:

    Phone rings. Female answers: Hello

    Male on other end: Hi Sally, this is Joe, just calling to see of Bob wants me to pick him up for work in the morning?

    Sally reply: Bob won't be going to work in the morning, he's in Jail.

    Joe: Jail, what's he doin there?

    Salley: well him and his buddy's went out for a few last night and Bob had a few too many. The State Police busted him for drunk driving. He blew a 1.5,. I told him he should call No Prob Limo to do the driving but you know Bob, Limos charge too much. Well look at what it is going to cost us now. The Lawyer, The fines, He may even loose his job now. We can hardly make ends meet as it is.

    Announcer: Don't let a drunk driving conviction ruin your life. For just a couple of hundred dollars, you can relax and enjoy the night out with out the worry of having the Police stopping you. For your next night on the town Call........

    My print ad depicts a Michigan State Police Car with the caption This ride could cost $5,000.00

    The picture below it is a stretch Limo with the caption this ride a couple of hundred, you do the math.

    You drink, you drive, you loose

    David E. Merrill
    David E. Merrill

  8. #8
    Senior Member Wade Randolph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA USA
    Posts
    2,472

    Default

    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AAA/GOT:
    Point Well Taken Wade!!!!


    And suggestions for stretch limousine ads are....

    Come on folks, let's keep this ball rolling!!




    Just adding one point Wade,

    I think it would be great to have several types of adds to run. You say "we are talking about advertising to our local market" true sir, how true indeed, but sedans to the airport are my local market! If stretch limousines are your local market, we should have some of those too. Let's not get into the "mine and yours" but make it "ours". Lets kick around ideas for ads for all types of service!!!


    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wade Randolph:
    Look guys the sedan airport commercial is a great idea if it was a national commercial to promote sedan instead of taxi use. But,we are talking about advertising to our local markets. People in Bakersfield, Baton Rouge, New Orleans and Michigan arent using taxis or rental cars to ride to the airport. Go to your local airport and you will see the locals getting dropped off by friends and relatives or using their own cars and parking. If you are going to advertise airport sedan transportation in your local market you should gear the commercial toward taking the locals out of their own cars and parking and into your sedans. Except for the New York market most locals dont used cab service. What your talking about with this airport sedan commercial is changing the way people think and talking them into spending more money than they already are. You are going to need a large budget to talk people out of these free rides to the airport. The easiest market to tap with local commercials would be limousine rides. Such as a wedding commercial where there is a real need and they probably are considering the use of a limo anyway. Also another good local use of sedans or limousines would be the DWI ad. This ad could open with a guy being handcuffed in the back of a police car, the next shot shows his family bailing him out of jail, the next shot shows him paying an attorney. It also might show how much this DWI has cost him. Our figures here in my state show that a first offence can cost you up to $5,000 with court cost, attorney's fees, fines and increased insurance cost. The next part of the commercial might show the same guy getting out of a new limo or sedan at his home at the end of a night out asking this question. WOULD YOU RATHER PAY $5,000 AND END UP IN JAIL OR PAY $500 FOR THIS NIGHT OUT AND SLEEP IN YOUR OWN BED? This is just my example of how it could work.
    Guys like I said I think the sedan airport commercial is great but its not really applicable to most of us.

    Wade Randolph<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Matt Harrison
    AAA Guaranteed On-Time Limousine, Clinton NJ

    [This message was edited by AAA/GOT on July 20, 2003 at 01:48 PM.]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Matt yes your right. You folks in the tri-state area are the exception. I should have said tri-state area instead of New York.

    Wade Randolph

  9. #9
    Super Moderator Limo Scene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA 93307
    Posts
    3,419

    Default

    I hear ya Wade. The purpose of my post in this forum was to start the creative ideas flowing. There is no reason why we can't and shouldn't run a variety of conditions and vehicles which promote the entire industry as a whole. I believe that each market must be addressed by it's operator. I strongly disagree with you Wade about the importance of the sedan commercial in my market. While we do not go to the airport in a sedan every single day, we do go there several times per week and we do drive many oil executives during the week to and from the airport (both here and LAX) and to business meetings in L.A. Our city is home to such companies as ChevronTexaco, Arco, Aera Energy and it is important to reach the decision makers in our community through TV. I do agree that we have begun the script writing here and we need more ideas on limos. I personally am not fond of the "drunk driving/use a limo" spots as that is simply not the business I am trying to develop. I rely on the mon - fri daytime business, then the Saturday weddings and whatever is thrown out way Saturday night is fine but I don't feel the need to market as the Saturday night party runs are a given without going looking for them. They come looking for us. Spend the money where you need more business. Now, somebody please give me another limo script.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

    Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

  10. #10

    Default

    Good ideas on the sedans. I agree there needs to be at least one sedan version. A comparison of a ratty, crazy taxi driver or a guy waiting for his rental car as contrasted to the smart executive who hops in the sedan and gets there on time is great!

    A successful stretch limo commercial ought to have a theme we can all rally around as an industry, and avoiding drunk drivers is probably not a compelling enough reason for the average joe to spend $300 on a night out - a taxi will do just fine. Rather, I would suggest something like "Make it Special" (use your imagination..this one is just to get you started) and create a commercial that encourages folks to take out a stretch limo any night of the week for that birthday, anniversary, graduation, etc and 'Make it Special'. In this case we are not competing with taxis, but rather trying to get the customer to spend extra money to create make the night out an 'event' and not just drive their honey themseleves.

    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Limo Scene:
    I hear ya Wade. The purpose of my post in this forum was to start the creative ideas flowing. There is no reason why we can't and shouldn't run a variety of conditions and vehicles which promote the entire industry as a whole. I believe that each market must be addressed by it's operator. I strongly disagree with you Wade about the importance of the sedan commercial in my market. While we do not go to the airport in a sedan every single day, we do go there several times per week and we do drive many oil executives during the week to and from the airport (both here and LAX) and to business meetings in L.A. Our city is home to such companies as ChevronTexaco, Arco, Aera Energy and it is important to reach the decision makers in our community through TV. I do agree that we have begun the script writing here and we need more ideas on limos. I personally am not fond of the "drunk driving/use a limo" spots as that is simply not the business I am trying to develop. I rely on the mon - fri daytime business, then the Saturday weddings and whatever is thrown out way Saturday night is fine but I don't feel the need to market as the Saturday night party runs are a given without going looking for them. They come looking for us. Spend the money where you need more business. Now, somebody please give me another limo script.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Tony Franzetti
    Marriton Limousine, Austin, TX
    Austin Limousine service, Austin airport service, austin bus charters
    http://www.marritonlimo.com

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Lupton mich USA
    Posts
    2,128

    Default

    Jim: I wish the Sat. night business came looking for me. I do agree with you that we do need to develope the Wedding and special occasion business. I will probe my little mind and see if I can come up with some more orginal ideas and post them as I think of them.

    Come on All you other Guys out there, I am sure some one is sitting on something.

    David E. Merrill
    David E. Merrill

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    1,305

    Default

    I sent an email blast today. We shall see if there is any interest.

    Cheers
    Michael

    The Redondo Beach School of Numbers
    A graduate with full honors ...

  13. #13

    Default

    Greetings Gentlemen;

    If I may, I will jump right in here and share some thoughts and observations with you, as follows. First, I am not completely convinced that Television is the best form of mass communications a limousine company can use, primarily due to expense vs. return on investment. David Merrill, refers to a Radio spot (which sounds effective) is it? I mean, have you had measurable results? So, the first issue, therefore, becomes which form of mass communications is or maybe best for our type of business? Best, is defined herein as "the largest return for the smallest investment."
    Therefore, the various media (print, radio, television, Internet) must be weighed based on return on investment criteria (effectiveness); perhaps through actual testing in various markets. In the event, TV is determined to be the media of choice, further considerations must be taken into account, such as, cable vs. network, time of day target audiences, variance in production costs by various providers and quality.
    Does anyone have a success story using TV?

    Secondly, reference has been made to branding or name identification as the primary purpose for TV advertising (people do not write down a phone number and call -- they remember the name and check the phone book). If in fact, this is true, why use 30 second spots and not 10 second spots and/or scrolling marquees? Hence, increasing exposure and saturation while reducing cost?

    Thirdly, if the purpose of using TV is to reach a larger audience, locally or statewide I presume, (as national advertising cost may be prohibitive), then, why target people arriving at an airport (generally from out-of-state)? Example: The shots of the airport and cab scenes vs. a luxury sedan etc. In addition, targeting weddings and limos on the other hand may again be to specific for a general audience reached by TV.
    Hence, a use of mass communications (TV) may entail keeping it as general as possible while presenting the service and equipment we provide in a tasteful manner. If you buy the idea of 10 second spots, how much can be said in a 10 second spot? If you do 30 second spots and 10 second spots and rotate various themes, DWI, wedding -- limo, airport, etc., costs begin to go up, and we are back to the return on investment issue. The overriding issue, as I see it, is; effectiveness in a given marketplace. Identify the greatest need, address it, then expand from there. The need, will in turn determine what to show through images. Having said that, Is our business a need based business, in part yes and in part perhaps not, it becomes a matter of perception. If what we are doing (in effect) is selling the sizzle then lets sell the sizzle. Lets define what will motivate the masses in general to book a luxury vehicle and chauffeur, then present 2 or 3 images that motivate the masses.

    Without, arriving at a conclusion and perhaps raising more issues than answers, I respectfully submit the foregoing for your consideration in addressing mass communication issues. Our situation is unique, in that, ideally we want to effect and motivate the general public rather that just one segment (weddings, etc.), this, in order to think out of the box.

  14. #14
    Super Moderator Limo Scene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA 93307
    Posts
    3,419

    Default

    Since you are new to the forum, I will first address the issue that the original idea was that only NLA members would use the spots and they would be branded with the NLA logo. Tag lines would have included "ABC Limousine, an NLA company.

    Under this condition, it would not matter that customers were from our of town/state as the original plan was to facilitate and foster the use of NLA limos. However, our Executive Director decided it was not a worthwhile project to pursue so we are banding together to expose ordinary people to the use of limousine service.

    I believe that the images we are trying to convey cannot be done by radio. They must be visual images burned into the brain. You simply cannot convey the executive stuck at the rental counter, reading a map etc. on radio which is not always cheaper than TV. We cannot accomplish this in less than 30 seconds and I have never heard of 10 second spots. They do not exist in my area.

    I do support that there should be tracking of the effectiveness of the campaign. I have already previously mentioned that phone numbers are a waste of the time as people need to remain the name, not the number. The best tracking is to say, "mention this ad for a 10% discount" or "free gift" such as a bottle of champagne or cider.

    As for purchase price. I pay as low as $15 per spot on cable in a combo buy. You can buy TLC, ESPN, Discovery Channel etc. in a bundled package which will give you massive cable coverage. Or, you can buy local network time in my market for $54.00 a spot and be on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Every market will be differed.
    Depending on how much someone invests, most local stations will do your production FREE if you place a large enough order with them (which isn’t much). However, in this case the production will be independent of a station since it will be distributed nationally. I suggest we use an advertising agency to place ALL media buys as they can buy multiple markets and then bill the respective companies for their market cost.

    I will also say that this type of advertising is like throwing bird seat out to a bunch of birds. One out of one thousand people will need a limo in the next one year period. Unless of course we get them thinking about it through these ads and now three out of 1000 will have a need.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

    Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

  15. #15

    Default

    Dear Limo Scene:
    Thank you for the update as to where you are at and where you are going, as it relates to the TV advertising you are in the process of doing. Now it is clearer to me. It appears that you are presently buying cable TV for as low as $15 per 30 second spot. I agree that raising the consciousness of the general public through appealing to the sense of sight as well as hearing (TV) is bound to impact the senses in a more profound way, than appealing to the sense of hearing alone (radio). The objective I have in mind is how to reach the largest amount of people for the lowest cost, And, move them to make a call. If the best I can expect is one call out of 1,000 people in one year, as an example, the question would remain as to how to do the same thing over a shorter period of time with the same or other media. If the best that can happen is TV.......then that's what it will have to be. In that case, I understand your desire to make your story board as effective as possible. I take it that your present TV advertising is effective for you. I am presently talking to our local ABC television station regarding running spots during our slow season. Do you think cable would give me more bang for the buck?
    Moving forward, therefore, my input is that a strong "Before and After" image strategy may be the most effective as it relates to any event (weddings, birthday, DWI, etc.) or airport pickups. A guy in a jail, court room, police car, etc., (before) then a chauffeur opening a door for him (after) with applicable voice over. A failed wedding, someone's car breaks down (before) and a photographer taking a picture of the wedding party next to the limousine (after). Stark contrasts as physical evidence of the "Value" -- necessity of our services and equipment.

    Obviously, the longer the spot the more likely the image impression will be on the mind. Sixty-second spots and infomercials on the one extreme and ten-second spots on the other end. Yes, we have 10 second spots in our area. However, if a 30 second spot can be purchased at or about the same cost as other media and have a greater return..........then the return on investment issue has been addressed. For my area a combination may work best. Lots to consider, seems like somone out there has been down this road before and can point to a TV limo success story.
    Kindest Regards,
    David at American Limousine, NM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •