Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Chrysler 300 A/C help, modification help

  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Seattle, Wa.
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Notch Limo Repair View Post
    An extra condenser is a must...definitely agree with that. 134A settles crazy sometimes and even though pressures may have not made a quick difference, I'd love to see what happens after some driving and settling. Static pressure is pretty important just so there isn't too much/not enough freon in the system. Although pressures may be good and all while running, if there is too much in there it becomes ineffective and condenser will be harder to cool down. Where are you mounting the condenser?


    Okay I'm curious, what does " 134A settles crazy sometimes" mean?


    Steve

  2. #32
    Member Limo Padawan
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Fl
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steve_b View Post
    Okay I'm curious, what does " 134A settles crazy sometimes" mean?


    Steve
    I was simply stating that letting the system settle and getting static pressures will tell a lot of the story needed to get it right. Some people throw refrigerant in and expect it to be perfect right away. I have always brought the pressures to where they are proper and let it settle, and then recheck pressures. I have fixed Limo's for dealers that their super-hero A/C mechanic's cant get right, sometimes by simply getting the pressures close and shutting the vehicle off for an hour. Case in point I took in a Bus with TransAir system in it and the dealer put in the required 7 lbs 4oz that TransAir told them to put in and pressures looked right. Wouldn't produce any colder than 60 degrees out of the vents. I bumped the pressures up to where I felt it operating the best, shut it down and saw that I was still a little low. just a nudge more and sitting still on high idle in 90 degree outside temps pulled just under 50 degrees out of the vents.
    It is what it is!!

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Edison NJ
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Okay, I called the Chrysler dealer yesterday and found that Chrysler is using the same cooler/condenser for cooling the transmission oil and the Freon which we thought it was only transmission oil cooler. Now knowing that as a fact, yes there is another condenser provided by the coach builder. It is 3/4" x 24" x 19”; I assume it has the least thickness compared to 3" x 13" x 23" from Manex ( Should I replace that condenser with Manex’s heavy duty condenser? ).

    Then I took the car to AC mechanic and rechecked everything again. He told me if I add more Freon, it will make it colder in the front but the rear will be warmer. So, I am not sure what I can do at this point. I was told that insulation in this stretch built by Costal is not so good and if I replace the rear blower motors with heavy duty, it would make a difference. I have total 3+3 = 6 vents in the rear ( I have 12 vents in my Lincoln stretch ).

    Regardless, what I noticed yesterday that, at 82 deg, and at 1500 high idle RPM, the car was blowing only 62 deg in front, and 67 deg in rear. I have heard a few people saying that they are getting the readings in late forties or early fifties in such case.

    Top Notch Limo Repair, I am sold to your knowledge and more to your confidence, but I just don't know what to do with this now... Again, I am still ready to put more money, and energy to resolve this at any cost and can again start from scratch.
    ~Blue.

  4. #34
    Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Crown Point, Indiana (Northern Indiana)
    Posts
    2,788

    Default

    Bring it to FL.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    381

    Default Limo Repair Shop Suggestion

    Quote Originally Posted by bluelimos View Post
    Okay, I called the Chrysler dealer yesterday and found that Chrysler is using the same cooler/condenser for cooling the transmission oil and the Freon which we thought it was only transmission oil cooler. Now knowing that as a fact, yes there is another condenser provided by the coach builder. It is 3/4" x 24" x 19”; I assume it has the least thickness compared to 3" x 13" x 23" from Manex ( Should I replace that condenser with Manex’s heavy duty condenser? )..
    ~Blue.

    I'm not sure where in the New York metro area you are located, but the best independent limousine & bus repair shop that I know of is PRECISION LIMO CARE. Before you begin ripping this apart I'd suggest you give them a call and speak with Robert (516-546-2886). All they work on are limousines and buses.
    Rick E.
    City Limousine Sales
    √XTS Livery Sedans√Escalade ESV Livery Package SUV's√Lincoln & Cadillac Limousines & Funeral Coaches by Federal Coach√GMC Professional Grade SUV's & 15 Passenger Vans√Cadillac & Buick Passenger Cars, Crossovers, and SUV's.

    ~Stupidity might be hereditary, but ignorance should be painful!~

    www.citylimosales.com

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    pa
    Posts
    634

    Default Automatic Adjusting Orifice Tube

    Has anyone tried replacement orifice tube ?
    Can be bought at a lot of parts stores or ordered line.

    http://aircondition.com/vov

    Now your customers can have:

    5° - 12°F colder air (at hot idle)
    Reduced compressor load and extended compressor life
    Improved performance when converting from R-12 to R-134a
    Improved city fuel economy & emissions
    Improved performance in factory R134a systems




    The Smart VOV was successfully tested for over two years in the
    desert in severe use vehicles (for more than 2,000,000 miles).
    U.S. automakers are proving the Smart VOV as a replacement
    for the orifice tube.

    Tech talk - how it works
    The Smart VOV (variable orifice valve) uses system pressure and refrigerant flow to move a metering piston relative to a fixed opening in the sleeve. The piston movement is resisted by an attached spring.

    When idling at high ambient temperatures, the piston shifts to a smaller metering area similar to a TXV. This compensates for the reduced compressor output and increases the cooling performance. The Smart VOV also has a unique re-open feature which reduces compressor pressure for severe idle conditions.

    At highway speeds, the Smart VOV operates on a large orifice. The net result is better performance than a TXV without the complexity or reliability concerns.

    Unlike a TXV, which has constantly moving parts and small internal clearances, the Smart VOV is stationary during most operating conditions and has large internal clearances. Its low friction floating design insures smooth operation and extremely long life.

    Also check this article. http://www.imcool.com/articles/aircondition/VOV1.htm

  7. #37
    Member Limo Padawan
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Fl
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Snap a few pic's of the aftermarket condenser, where the lines were spliced for the rear, and the units behind the seats and send them to TheLimoDoctor@aol.com Adding more pressure to the system may actually warm the front up and cooler in the rear. I am curious as to how they restricted the factory a/c. Depending on how the condenser was mounted may make a difference as well. If it is set up right, I almost think making that 2-in-1 trans cooler/condenser solely a trans cooler and add one to make the front it's own unit. It cant be any help that hot trans fluid and heat from the condenser are fighting each other. I know room is tough in there, but it can be re-routed underneath as well. Maybe use the existing one for the front and get an "overkill" one for the rear. I would still try bumping the pressures until you get parts and such. It could always be bled off...and it would take stupid pressures to hurt the system.
    It is what it is!!

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Edison NJ
    Posts
    319

    Default

    I went to precision limo care in NY, about 45min to 1 hour away. I saw their work and have no doubts about their knowledge in limo repairs. I told them I want 50 deg or less in the back, can you do it? They said yes, and I gave them the approval to do what they want.

    When they started working on the car, they showed me the low pressure valve had leak when they opened the cap, but they recovered 6.3lbs from the system. I doubt if there is any leak in the system with cap on otherwise there is no way they can recover so much Freon from the system. They said it was minor. Then they put 5 lbs as per the coach builder and completed the job. Front was 52 deg at 1500 high idle rpm, and rear was 65 deg. Outside temp was 80. So after all the work, didn't really work out.

    At 650 rpm, the low pressure was reading 50 and high was at 200 and the mechanic told me my compressor is weak. I am coming to a conclusion that in the world of AC repair, everyone has their own theory based on their experience. But I doubt if anyone around here can go out of the way, be a little more creative, and discover something that can work on this piece of S**t that I own.
    I am sorry to run this long drama, but I plan to end this thread soon and won’t continue too long.
    ~Blue
    Last edited by bluelimos; July 15th, 2009 at 07:45 PM.

  9. #39
    Member Limo Padawan
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Fl
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluelimos View Post
    I went to precision limo care in NY, about 45min to 1 hour away. I saw their work and have no doubts about their knowledge in limo repairs. I told them I want 50 deg or less in the back, can you do it? They said yes, and I gave them the approval to do what they want.

    When they started working on the car, they showed me the low pressure valve had leak when they opened the cap, but they recovered 6.3lbs from the system. I doubt if there is any leak in the system with cap on otherwise there is no way they can recover so much Freon from the system. They said it was minor. Then they put 5 lbs as per the coach builder and completed the job. Front was 52 deg at 1500 high idle rpm, and rear was 65 deg. Outside temp was 80. So after all the work, didn't really work out.

    At 650 rpm, the low pressure was reading 50 and high was at 200 and the mechanic told me my compressor is weak. I am coming to a conclusion that in the world of AC repair, everyone has their own theory based on their experience. But I doubt if anyone around here can go out of the way, be a little more creative, and discover something that can work on this piece of S**t that I own.
    I am sorry to run this long drama, but I plan to end this thread soon and won’t continue too long.
    ~Blue
    Pressures should be read on high idle, reading at 650 rpm is incorrect. a weak compressor usually brings a high low side and low high side. Pretty much wont build pressure. My computer has been jacked and will check those e-mails in the am and get back to you. Did the A/C mechanic check the orifice tube for oil soaking? I'm curious if your drier is soaked as well.....it will give similar results....
    It is what it is!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •