Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chrysler 300 A/C help, modification help

Default Chrysler 300 A/C help, modification help

I always had Lincoln Stretch and had little problem with the AC. Now having this brand new chrysler 2006, i am having problem. It blows just cool, not cold air when 80 Deg outside; i am afraid what will happen when it is over 90. The AC Mechanic at RWI in Garfield NJ, who is the only and the best known Stretch Limosuine Mechanic here said that Chryslers are like this, everything is new and there is no problem; this is all you can get out of it.

1) How can i do the wiring where i can have the two radiator fans ON all the time when i have the Air Conditions on.

2) How can i set the RPM to 1200, what RPM does it run normally, is that very expensive? This will burn more gas, but should i reduce this back in the Winter time?

3) I read about the Idle swtich, i have no idea what is that and what to do with it.

4) Are there any hoses that i can insulate in a better way or so?

5 ) Can i add a small condenser, or radiator in addition to what i have? if yes, can anyone suggest how much that would cost?

I am ready and willing to spend money, i just don't know how and also don't want to waste it.

Thank you for your assistance.

~Dee
    Blue Limos
    1-732-791-2540.
    Last edited by bluelimos; June 15th, 2009 at 09:03 PM.

Are you sure there is enough freon in the system. I have bought several new limos that were a little low on freon. Seems some builders are a little tight with the freon. I would call the coachbuilder first before you start doing any major modifications to the system. Ask them how many pounds of freon is reccomended. The Chrysler 300 should have no problem getting cold if it is operating properly. If the car is idling for a while, and it is really hot, it won't get as cold.
    Dan Repass
    Celebrity & BOSS Limousine
    Lexington, KY
    859-255-LIMO
    www.255LIMO.COM

Yes, it came with too much freon, the mechanic serviced and inspected everything recently and put 3.7lb in the vehicle. He told me that too much freon is also not good and he reduced it to the optimum level. It was done at RWI Limousine Repair in NJ.
    ~Dee
    Blue Limos.

Senior Member Limo Padawan limo bill's Avatar

Should of stayed with the lincoln. This is just the begining
    " Luck is when preparation & opportunity come together "

Limo Bill,
    Thank's for your reply, but i am looking for solutions my friend, not quick note guide. My questions are genuine and with such modification, i know i can improve a lot. AC is okay, but not so great as Lincoln, and it is horrible when the car is idle. I am trying to improve here in a technical way. So, if you have answers, please help and i appreciate if that happens, but lets just stick to the original forum message.

Many thanks

~Dee

Default No answer yet, no one?

Wow,

I am amazed that no one has answers to any of my questions yet, or are they not feeling the same problem in their Chryslers...

~Dee

Quote Originally Posted by bluelimos View Post
    Wow,

I am amazed that no one has answers to any of my questions yet, or are they not feeling the same problem in their Chryslers...

~Dee
    Since you said that the best a/c mechanic in NJ has already worked on your car, don't you think he would be best qualifed to discuss additional modifications? Of course, you can consult the coachbuilder who built your 300.
    Rick E.
    City Limousine Sales
    √XTS Livery Sedans√Escalade ESV Livery Package SUV's√Lincoln & Cadillac Limousines & Funeral Coaches by Federal Coach√GMC Professional Grade SUV's & 15 Passenger Vans√Cadillac & Buick Passenger Cars, Crossovers, and SUV's.

~Stupidity might be hereditary, but ignorance should be painful!~

www.citylimosales.com

Senior Member Limo Padawan Jazzy Girl's Avatar

What A/C system did the coachbuilder put in the limousine (Manex, MTG, no-name brand)? Are you (the driver) running the front A/C while you have passengers in the vehicle? Some drivers get too cold and turn their A/C off which in alot of units will reduce the cold in the rear to cool. The limo ride is for the client so if the driver is too cold, tell them to open the window but leave the A/C on full cold or as low as the temperature will go and at a medium fan. I know this is not the fix you wanted to hear but have found out it is the easiest fix rather than adding another condensor to a full engine compartment or another A/C unit under the seat. Hope this helps.
    Annette

"Everything starts with the right set of wheels, let limogirl.net get you rolling"
    www.limogirl.net

I have to look which AC system they put in. Costal Coach built this limo. Our drivers always put the AC on full in the front and the back prior going to the pick up location; that way it gets some time to cool while all ac are running. It's okay when the car is going 60 miles per hour, but when the engine is idle, even they feel a bit hot in the front. I have received the excel sheet for inspection, that you Jazzy Girl.

I have two chrysler 300 limos with good AC. If you have a fan running in front of the radiators and the AC is working properly it should blow nice and cold and you shouldnt need to do major modifications. I would think there is a problem with your current system before you start adding on to it, find out what is wrong first.
    I offer Search engine optimization for Limo Companies. Our main limo website has had over 9.6 million hits. Some of my clients: www.FirstClassLimos.net Rome Tours Tours in Rome Limo Service Philadelphia www.PartyBusToledo.com

Call us at 1-888-51-LIMOS (54667) For referral work in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus, Toledo, & Pittsburgh PA and all cities in between - over 15,000+ customers and counting!

I run extra cooling fans with a driver manual control switch so we can leave them on. On one of our sedans the dash air temp reaches 20 degrees regularly. The cheapest way is usually to add extra fans. If that doesn't do it, measure the space behind the grille and put in the biggest second condensor you can reasonably fit in. As far as staying with Lincolns, got one I would love to shove off a cliff. Been a POS from day one.

Member Limo Padawan

I have to look which AC system they put in. Costal Coach built this limo. Our drivers always put the AC on full in the front and the back prior going to the pick up location; that way it gets some time to cool while all ac are running. It's okay when the car is going 60 miles per hour, but when the engine is idle, even they feel a bit hot in the front. I have received the excel sheet for inspection, that you Jazzy Girl.
    Drastic differences in cooling while sitting still and driving could be 2 things. Either you are not getting enough air through the condenser(s), or possibly a freon level issue. How does it cool sitting still at a high (1200-1500 rpm) idle? Provide us with more info about pressure readings at idle, high idle, and before starting the vehicle. And roughly temps outside when doing so.
    It is what it is!!

The freon level has been checked twice and is perfect. The AC mechanic also said there is additional condenser in the car beside the factory condenser.

When it is 80 Deg outside, the car blows about 65-68 at the vent in the front, and 72-74 at the vent in the back at Idle. If the car is moving about 30-40 miles/hr at 2000 rpm, it blows 50-54 deg in the front, and 58-60 in the rear.

At idle, and with 1500 rpm, again the car blows 56-58 deg in front and 62-64 deg in rear.

I put a relay and connected that with a swtich to the main factory fan to keep it on all the time while the AC is on; that helps little. I also moved the coach builder's fan on the condenser to left, and added a 10" additional fan which i will connect in a few days.

I am trying to find out how i can put a switch to increase the idle rpm to 1200. This car has only 19k and all the radiator and condensers are clean.

Member Limo Padawan

The freon level has been checked twice and is perfect. The AC mechanic also said there is additional condenser in the car beside the factory condenser.

When it is 80 Deg outside, the car blows about 65-68 at the vent in the front, and 72-74 at the vent in the back at Idle. If the car is moving about 30-40 miles/hr at 2000 rpm, it blows 50-54 deg in the front, and 58-60 in the rear.

At idle, and with 1500 rpm, again the car blows 56-58 deg in front and 62-64 deg in rear.

I put a relay and connected that with a swtich to the main factory fan to keep it on all the time while the AC is on; that helps little. I also moved the coach builder's fan on the condenser to left, and added a 10" additional fan which i will connect in a few days.

I am trying to find out how i can put a switch to increase the idle rpm to 1200. This car has only 19k and all the radiator and condensers are clean.
    You can put a high idle on the car normally for charging issues. It only kicks up in nuetral and park. I always here from customers that the freon was checked and is perfect...and then as I pop gauges on, it is off....and with 134a it doesn't take much. please get a pressure reading with the car off. and read the freon levels at 1200-1500 rpm sitting still. It sounds like you are having issues with air flow across the condenser. and honestly slightly off pressures. I just fixed a 200" truck with a single compressor and sitting still @ 3pm yesterday with people in it on the high idle kit was blowing 37 degrees out of the vents and had to lower the a/c to please the customers. A limo's a/c is not easy for some to understand. I promise if you get me accurate info, we'll get you in the right direction.
    It is what it is!!

Okay, well I took the readings.

@ Engine off = Freon pressure is 98
    1 minute after starting the car
    @ 750pm = 47
    @ 2000 rpm = 38
    @ 4000 rpm = 27

5 minutes later
    @ 700 rpm = 44
    @ 1500 rpm= 32
    @ 2000 rpm= 29
    @ 3500 rpm = 27

I installed the additional fan on the condenser. By stepping the gas to 1500 rpm, and leaving all the fans on, I could only get 62 deg in the front and 68 deg in the rear (Outside temp was 85deg and the car was in full shade). At 1500 rpm and idle, the fans were blowing really hot hot air, I was worried seeing the amount of heat that comes along with the idle 1500 rpm while the AC is on full.

Do you know if there are any high idle kit for Chrysler 300?

The electrician and mechanic who installed the switch told me there is no additional condenser in this car beside the factory one. He showed me the condenser, then behind there was the transmission cooler, and followed by radiator. No condenser behind the driver's seat either; none.
    Last edited by bluelimos; June 30th, 2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: idle swtich is not working