PDA

View Full Version : Start Up Financing

November 3rd, 2002, 02:34 AM
Would like to receive any information on start up financing. I operated a part time limo business before but had to close due to health and financial reasons. It's been 3 years since that and I really want to get back into it. My credit is completely shot, all the banks say no and wondering if there are any other alternative financing people that anyone knows about. I am interested in buying at least 2 cars preferebly 98 or newer. I read this forum a lot so I am trying to stay on top of things so any help would be appreciated !

November 7th, 2002, 07:48 AM
18% interest and one missed payment gets you a free pair of concrete slippers....

Seriously, I think your only option is to borrow from relatives. Otherwise get a job and save some money up for a few years, and rebuild your credit.

You are in no position to start your own business if you have no credit and no cash.

November 7th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Another thing to consider is if it was poor health that caused the money problem, or if it was the money problem that caused poor health.

If you got sick due to a money problem, and your credit is shot, then I'd say you're just asking to get sick again. http://limos.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

If the money problem was because you got sick, then try to get your credit back.

November 7th, 2002, 02:33 PM
If you really want it-you will find a way.

Dean Schuler

November 8th, 2002, 11:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dean Schuler:
If you really want it-you will find a way.

Dean Schuler<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's almost zen. http://limos.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

November 11th, 2002, 03:34 AM
You have no business even thinking about starting a business if you have no credit or money. I started by driving cab till I saved up the money to buy my first limo for CASH and had the permits and insurance paid for in full for a year. I went out and made sales calls, paid bribes for business and busted my ass giving the very best service and now I have a thriving limo busness that I built from the ground up. Get ajob and save your money and rebuild your credit and in 4-6 years you'll be there.

Teri Davis
Operations Manager
Dependable Limos
(561) 389-2582
www.expage.com/dependablelimos (http://www.expage.com/dependablelimos)

November 11th, 2002, 03:40 AM
Teri,

Excellent advice. The one thing that can overcome bad credit, bankruptcies and other credit problems is a wad of cash and the good old saying "Ill be paying cash".

Cash works.

Your story is also intriguing ... care to tell it here?

Michael

http://www.limousinesonline.com/proudmember.gif

November 11th, 2002, 05:46 AM
Glad to see myself re-quoted....

While I believe anyone with willpower can make anything happen, to suggest someone with no credit and no cash can just 'do it' is absurd. Where willpower and a dream comes into play is the willingness to bust your ass to put yourself in a position to make it happen. You can not start this type of business with no credit and no cash.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DependableLimos:
You have no business even thinking about starting a business if you have no credit or money. I started by driving cab till I saved up the money to buy my first limo for CASH and had the permits and insurance paid for in full for a year. I went out and made sales calls, paid bribes for business and busted my ass giving the very best service and now I have a thriving limo busness that I built from the ground up. Get ajob and save your money and rebuild your credit and in 4-6 years you'll be there.

Teri Davis
Operations Manager
Dependable Limos
(561) 389-2582
http://www.expage.com/dependablelimos<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

November 11th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Think twice !! I did it with nothing in my wallet but connections and a burning desire to succeed !! I came back from the Coachbuilder with enough money to eat, fuel my unit, I called in a favor and obtained a City Permit, and put an ad in the newspaper. I slept in my car the first month and showered at a friend's house. In a month I did direct trade ( marketing ) with a small service and thus obtained a room at one of their rental properties. In eight months I had enough money for another car and never looked back. In life, like business, either you commit to the path of success, or you make excuses. Civilians are famous for whining-our country needs one year of military service or one year of national service for all young people. Do you want to win or lose ? I prefer winning; the AMERICAN WAY !!!!!

Dean Schuler

November 11th, 2002, 10:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dean Schuler:
Think twice !! I did it with nothing in my wallet but connections and a burning desire to succeed !! I came back from the Coachbuilder with enough money to eat, fuel my unit, ( I called in a favor and obtained a City Permit) and put an ad in the newspaper. I slept in my car the first month and showered at a friend's house. In a month I did direct trade ( marketing ) with a small service and thus obtained a room at one of their rental properties. In eight months I had enough money for another car and never looked back. In life, like business, either you commit to the path of success, or you make excuses. Civilians are famous for whining-our country needs one year of military service or one year of national service for all young people. Do you want to win or lose ? I prefer winning; the AMERICAN WAY !!!!!

Dean Schuler

November 11th, 2002, 11:06 PM
Dean:

Just curious how you bought your vehicle, how old it was, and what the price was? Maybe you have some ideas out there for those guys with no cash (such as this gentleman) to get a car. Giving someone a peptalk is one thing, but counseling someone who already lost their business once for financial reasons to go out on a shoestring again may be ignoring the facts. Sounds like the proper thing for this particular individual is to assess what went wrong the first time, fix his credit and start off again on a solid footing.

Think twice !! I did it with nothing in my wallet but connections and a burning desire to succeed !! I came back from the Coachbuilder with enough money to eat, fuel my unit, I called in a favor and obtained a City Permit, and put an ad in the newspaper. I slept in my car the first month and showered at a friend's house. In a month I did direct trade ( marketing ) with a small service and thus obtained a room at one of their rental properties. In eight months I had enough money for another car and never looked back. In life, like business, either you commit to the path of success, or you make excuses. Civilians are famous for whining-our country needs one year of military service or one year of national service for all young people. Do you want to win or lose ? I prefer winning; the AMERICAN WAY !!!!!

November 12th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Texas Limo Guy: You are correct, of course. In my case I attracted a wealthy, but tight wad investor.She just wanted the car to go out in twice a month and liked me as a driver. It was a brand-spanking new 1988 Allen Coachworks 60" Stretch. I like it when people overcome odds to succeed-I think it makes a better USA. In this case, I definitely get your point, sir.

Dean Schuler

November 13th, 2002, 12:07 PM
To all with your replies......thanks. But I have to apoligize that I wasn't specific enough. First of all I do have a job and plan on working after starting up the limo business. This is to cover my medical. Secondly I do have some equity in the bank so I am not flat broke without a job. I have had 2 heart attacks and after each one my vehicles got repoed. This definently kills the credit. I have been trying to look for some government help thru low doc loans but I can't seem to get the right connections. Since I only have minimal pension from a previous job , I was looking foward to running the limo business as a cash flow. My financial mistake before was that I bought too old of cars and took a beating when I sold them. Thats why I got out the first time. It was my own decision when I got too big and couldn't handle it.

November 13th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Bob, Get a backer, a business plan, and new cars. Think carefully about the kind of individual you want to Chauffeur for you. They will make or break you. You can do it, sir !!!!!!!!

Dean Schuler

November 15th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Lots of companies have super Chauffeur programs. The secret is to attract the right individual and we do it by being proactive, not reactive. We work via referral and Chauffeur Recruiters. It is all what you attract to yourself...and we attract good things in New Orleans !!

Dean Schuler