View Full Version : drivers license

June 16th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Do you need a special license to drive a limo, such as a b class or cdl

June 16th, 2002, 09:24 PM
In California you only need a commercial drivers license if you are driving a limo that seats 10 or more passengers. This is usually the navigators, excursions, or 180 Inch limos. The most common limos, the 120 Inch 8 passenger limos, you can drive with a standard Class C License. Although I have heard that some insurance companies give a better rate when the drivers all have a Class A or Commercial drivers license even if the vehicles they may be driving do not meet the requirement for the license.

So do you need it, No
May some employers require it, Yes
Is it good to have, Yes

If you are serious about getting into the profession start looking into it. It does cost some money though for the medical and vision exams, but maybe your new employer will pay for that if you come prepared to take the test and they can get a discount on their insurance for it.

Remember this info only applies to California, check your local laws, Where are you located anyway?

Good Luck!!

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA

June 17th, 2002, 02:29 AM
I am located in western PA. I appreciate the help I will look into it further. Once again Thanks alot, Ken

June 19th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Dear Ken,
I also have a limo business in Pa. You do not need a special license to drive a limo unless you are transporting 16 or more including the driver. If you are you will need a class C cdl with a passenger endorsement.

June 20th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Steve is very right in his comments. It is not a legal requirement UNLESS your driver operates a vehicles "designed to carry MORE THAN 10 passengers".

However, after reading an article in LCT magazine a long time ago, we adopted a policy of only hiring drivers that have a Class B Commercial Drivers License. By doing so, it reduced our insurance premiums by thousands of dollars each year. So if you have a sizeable fleet or driver roster, it can save you a great deal of money.

July 6th, 2002, 06:30 AM
When did the FCMSA change the CDL requirements?

16 Passengers or 26001 pounds has been the rule, now you're saying it's 10 passengers. I believe what you are referring to is the logging requirements of more than 100 miles from base.

If I'm wrong, please tell me where I can find the actual FCMSA ruling.


July 21st, 2002, 11:59 AM
Here in Missouri we only need a Chauffers license is we are for hire (tips not included)