PDA

View Full Version : Any part-timers made a go of it yet?

September 2nd, 2002, 07:55 PM
Hi all. First of all I must say many thanks to the founder of this board and all of you who support it. What an excellent resource for folks interested in the business!

I am interested in hearing about any follow-ups from people who posted here in the last 12 months who were thinking about starting up as a part timer. Did you take the plunge? If so, how has it gone so far? If not, what got in your way or made you change your mind?

I am in the wedding industry and see a lot of potential for leveraging this business with my others - start out small and if I only break even the first year or two it is no sweat since this won't be my source of income. As I develop a better feel for the industry then I make more strategic investments and develop it as an additional full fledged profit generating business. Anyone else tried this with success?

September 3rd, 2002, 01:06 AM
I started my business in 1994 as a part time business. I also held a full time job. I still maintain my business and full time job. Both have been successful. Although I consider my limousine business part-time, it is running full time 7 days a week/24 hours a day. My wife handles the phones and dispatching while I am at work. She also runs errands and bank trips for the business. So....yes it can be done. Most important is that you need the financial backing to get you through the hard times, family/friend support to work with you, and quality chauffers that you don't need to baby sit. I also keep my business at a small size so that it is managable. Since the income is "extra" money for my family we do not need to jump at every job that comes along. This allows me to maintain my pricing (in the face of local price wars) and maintain my sanity.

Good Luck.