PDA

View Full Version : Can an RV such as a Durango be used to start a limo business?

August 7th, 2001, 04:31 PM

August 7th, 2001, 11:59 PM
My opinion is that you cannot and should not try to start a service with a Durango. I am on my second Durango (as a personal car) and I am very familar with the vehicle. My only business use of my Durango is as a backup/luggage vehicle. It is VERY costly to operate (13 mpg. Also, once you get some heavy miles on it, the repairs will eat you up.

Passenger comfort is another issue. The back seats are not very comfortable if you are trying to market as a luxury service. If you are set on using an SUV, I would recommend something larger and more comfortable for the clients.

Good Luck

August 8th, 2001, 02:55 AM
Well, I thought as much. I am thinking of trading it in for a used Caddy or TC. I would tend to agree with the comfort issue. The car is great but not a real comfortable ride.

Thanks for the comments...

Edward

August 9th, 2001, 05:07 AM
in my opinion your durango is not viable for livery service....those people who utilize such vehicles expect either a suburban or excursion type vehicle....in my fleet i use a suburban which can seat 7 people comfortably plus still has a full rear area which will accomodate all of their luggage....while the gas mileage is not necessarily good, it is comparable to that of an 8 passenger stretch, the suburban is a good vehicle and is becoming more popular for use in transporting to mountains(ski area destinations), or for those who have a group too large to fit in a towncar but do not want the image of a stretch....

August 12th, 2001, 05:45 AM
If I trade the Durango in for a Town Car or Caddy, which is better for a start up? The caddy probably costs a hair more. I'm thinking of a 1999 or 1998 used.

Town cars tend to be pretty popular around here.

August 12th, 2001, 10:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by idc:
If I trade the Durango in for a Town Car or Caddy, which is better for a start up? The caddy probably costs a hair more. I'm thinking of a 1999 or 1998 used.

Town cars tend to be pretty popular around here.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My personal advice would be not to go back beyond year 2000 for a Cadillac, nor beyond 1988 for the Town Car. So if the choice is 1998 or 1999, go with the Town Car. The 2000/2001 Cadillac is improved over 1999, but before that stick with the TC.

James H. Joseph
Pegasus Chauffeured Motor Cars
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
jhj@pegasus-pittsburgh.com

August 12th, 2001, 01:26 PM
My last post made reference to a 1988 TC, but I meant 1998. Gotta' keep those fingers on the home keys!

James H. Joseph
Pegasus Chauffeured Motor Cars
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
jhj@pegasus-pittsburgh.com

August 13th, 2001, 02:21 PM
Alright I tend to agree that the TC is a good choice. I will need to work with a local company to get runs. If I provide my own car and insurance, what can I expect to pay to work with someone? What percentage or cut for answering phones, and calling me with a run? Will I get the cold shoulder because they figure I'll want to be on my own eventually?

I can always just drive with someone but I'd rather use my own car if possible.

Edward