PDA

View Full Version : Cost of getting started

October 24th, 2002, 07:21 AM
I am looking to start an airport service. I want to start out with one car, and do mostley PM and some red eye times. I am wondering what I can look to spend including buying a car, operating license, DMV registration, flight tracking software, etc....... Also I plan on starting out part time, while maintaining a day job. So my question here is, how long could I expect to operate before I would need to leave my day job to run the business full time? What rules will I need to be aware of to get started?

October 24th, 2002, 10:20 AM
What happens when one of your best Clients calls you to pick them up and take them to the Airport for an emergency flight when you are at work at the Day Job? You just can't run this business "part Time" unless you have a job that allows you to be Very flexible and leave when you are called or you are collecting some kind of compensation for doing nothing. You need to commit 110% or it just won't work. Even when you commit 110% it still may not work anyway.

David E. Merrill

October 24th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Actually It can be done. Not sure how, but Rob in MD has a normal job during the day and runs a limo service as well.

His userid is Limos4You -- you may want to email him and see how he does it because honestly, I don't know how! I'm sure he has employees that takes care of the business side of it when he is at his normal job. Actually, it may be his wife.

Michael

http://www.limousinesonline.com/proudmember.gif

October 24th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Yes, it can be done, but I wouldn't try it by yourself. I have a day job (luckily, very flexible hours), and have the support (driving help, vehicle repair, phone answering, etc.) of my husband and a number of family members & friend. As for cost, Insurance is going to be the big thing... almost a good 1/3 (plus) of anything you make. You'll have to check local laws for the rest (permits, license, reg.). Now, are you talking a Limo or Sedan? I don't 'think' Airports alone will make enough. You'll probably need to do some 'staples' (proms & weddings). This is where extra help really is needed.
I must say I'm sorry I ever got started in this business... and I've LOVED every minute of it!!!

As an added note, I've been in the biz for a little over 3 years now, have 3 Limos, and am STILL working my day job.

Patty - SC&L

P.S. for Michael - another post down :-)

October 25th, 2002, 12:05 AM
Michaels correct. My wife answers the phones and handles dispatching and minor decisions during the day. I've got a GREAT driver full time during the week. I deal with everything else when I get home from work and on the weekends. But keep in mind......although my wife does not draw a paycheck, she costs me a fortune http://limos.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

October 25th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Looks to me like noone here actually runs their business part time, they have people "running" it for them. This industry is not a part time job. The headaches and grey hairs it causes puts a large strain on anyone running it full time. Someone trying to "part-time" an operation is just asking for three times the stress of a normal occupation. As anyone here will attest, limousines aren't just twice as big as normal cars, they're twice as stressful, twice as demanding, twice as worrisome, twice as fun, and twice as rewarding. Do yourself a favour, get a business partner if you can't put in the hours.

October 25th, 2002, 11:10 AM
>>Looks to me like noone here actually runs their >>business part time, they have people "running" >>it for them. This industry is not a part time >>job.

OK, David. Point very well taken. While it may be (seem) like a part time job to each individual... the job itself is full time.

Patty - SC&L

October 26th, 2002, 05:47 AM
i run my business part time, the thing is you can only do this if you dont have a lot of work!

www.1stlincslimo.co.uk (http://www.1stlincslimo.co.uk)

October 26th, 2002, 05:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Yes, it can be done, but I wouldn't try it by yourself. I have a day job (luckily, very flexible hours), and have the support (driving help, vehicle repair, phone answering, etc.) of my husband and a number of family members & friend. As for cost, Insurance is going to be the big thing... almost a good 1/3 (plus) of anything you make. You'll have to check local laws for the rest (permits, license, reg.). Now, are you talking a Limo or Sedan? I don't 'think' Airports alone will make enough. You'll probably need to do some 'staples' (proms & weddings). This is where extra help really is needed.
I must say I'm sorry I ever got started in this business... and I've LOVED every minute of it!!!

As an added note, I've been in the biz for a little over 3 years now, have 3 Limos, and am STILL working my day job.

Patty - SC&L
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Patty--- In reading your posts I was wondering where do you park your 3 limos?

October 26th, 2002, 10:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Specialtylimo:
OK, David. Point very well taken. While it may be (seem) like a part time job to each individual... the job itself is full time.

Patty - SC&L<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't trying to split hairs, I was just trying to make the point that someone truly running part-time would have a monstrous job trying to schedule limo runs and their "day job" around each other. To say nothing about the money you'd lose while "at work". Being a part-time manager of your business is one thing, trying to run it yourself "is the devil". http://limos.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

October 27th, 2002, 06:40 PM
>>>I wasn't trying to split hairs, I was just trying to make the point that someone truly
running part-time would have a monstrous job trying to schedule limo runs and their "day job" around each other. To say nothing about the money you'd lose while "at work". Being a part-time manager of your business is one thing, trying to run it yourself "is the devil". <<<

David, split hairs all you want (incase my post wasn't clear, I was agreeing with you).

>>>Patty--- In reading your posts I was wondering where do you park your 3 limos?<<<

Harpo, as this is definitely a part of operating cost, so I will answer.
First, this is a touchy subject… 5 years ago my Husband had a large garage/shop built onto our suburban home for personal car work and "guy stuff". It is now filled with a 6-pac & 10-pac… with our other 10-pac in the driveway along with our 2 vans and a full size SCHOOL BUS.
Our neighbors love us!!!
http://limos.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://limos.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif