PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone based out of Pennsylvania?



August 10th, 2001, 05:06 PM
I recently heard that it is now easier than ever to start a car service business in PA.

Before you needed close to $40,000 for the license but now that figure is more like $2,000.

I have about $11,000 in capital and would really like to know if it is true.

August 10th, 2001, 09:41 PM
The only issue involved in obtaining a PUC certificate of convenience in Pennsylvania is "fitness," the concept of "need" having been eliminated. Assuming that you are free of criminal and traffic convictions, all you need is a car newer than 8 model years with less than 100,000 miles and $25,000 in liquid assets (that means cash or cash equivalents) and insurance. You must also have one-year of experience in the transportation business, or have someone on your payroll who does. You are also required to have an office, either at home or separately, including a dedicated telephone line. These requirements are contained in Exhibit A to the application which can be viewed and downloaded at the following address: http://puc.paonline.com/forms/Html_Forms/App_Mcc_Limos.htm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shahid Naseem Baig:
I recently heard that it is now easier than ever to start a car service business in PA.

Before you needed close to $40,000 for the license but now that figure is more like $2,000.

I have about $11,000 in capital and would really like to know if it is true.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

James H. Joseph
Pegasus Chauffeured Motor Cars
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
jhj@pegasus-pittsburgh.com

August 11th, 2001, 04:28 PM
I understand the "fitness" rule. But what "need" has to be eliminated?

Also, if I meet all the requirements you list, all I really need is to be up and running is to file the $350 application to the PUC and just wait for the certificate?

Thanks for the application link. It was really a great help.


<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JHJ:
The only issue involved in obtaining a PUC certificate of convenience in Pennsylvania is "fitness," the concept of "need" having been eliminated. Assuming that you are free of criminal and traffic convictions, all you need is a car newer than 8 model years with less than 100,000 miles and $25,000 in liquid assets (that means cash or cash equivalents) and insurance. You must also have one-year of experience in the transportation business, or have someone on your payroll who does. You are also required to have an office, either at home or separately, including a dedicated telephone line. These requirements are contained in Exhibit A to the application which can be viewed and downloaded at the following address: http://puc.paonline.com/forms/Html_Forms/App_Mcc_Limos.htm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shahid Naseem Baig:
I recently heard that it is now easier than ever to start a car service business in PA.

Before you needed close to $40,000 for the license but now that figure is more like $2,000.

I have about $11,000 in capital and would really like to know if it is true.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

James H. Joseph
Pegasus Chauffeured Motor Cars
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
jhj@pegasus-pittsburgh.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

August 11th, 2001, 05:47 PM
Prior to April, 2001, an applicant for a Pa. PUC certificate of convenience needed to prove that there was a "need" for more limousine service. This gave everyone else who held authority in the affected area the oppotunity to file "protests" that then took a year or so of hearings before an Administrative Law Judge at a cost to the applicant of well over $10,000, sometimes much more depending on how aggressive the application was in terms of the geopgraphic area sought to be served. Now, need is no longer an issue. You can have a certificate that authorizes you to provide limousine service anywhere in the state by merely applying IF you are fit, and I have addressed those standards. So the answer is, if you meet the "fitness" standards the certificate is issued based on staff review and is not advertised to the public for other certificate holders to file protests. I don't know what the turnaround time is on staff-approved applications right now because all of this is pretty new since the Commission de-regulated the limousine business and there have been a flood of applications. It took the Commission a few months to come up with standards for staff approval (i.e., the liquidity and vehicle requirements as well as the amount of experience required), so things were logjammed for awhile. I think the liquidity requirement knocked a lot of the applications out, so things may be moving faster. Simply call the PUC and ask them - they'll tell you how long.
I can't speak to what requirements your county or municipalities may impose, or the Harrisburg airport. Best you should check before going for the PUC.

James H. Joseph
Pegasus Chauffeured Motor Cars
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
jhj@pegasus-pittsburgh.com

August 14th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Your info was invaluable and really informative.
Thanks so much for helping me out.


<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JHJ:
Prior to April, 2001, an applicant for a Pa. PUC certificate of convenience needed to prove that there was a "need" for more limousine service. This gave everyone else who held authority in the affected area the oppotunity to file "protests" that then took a year or so of hearings before an Administrative Law Judge at a cost to the applicant of well over $10,000, sometimes much more depending on how aggressive the application was in terms of the geopgraphic area sought to be served. Now, need is no longer an issue. You can have a certificate that authorizes you to provide limousine service anywhere in the state by merely applying IF you are fit, and I have addressed those standards. So the answer is, if you meet the "fitness" standards the certificate is issued based on staff review and is not advertised to the public for other certificate holders to file protests. I don't know what the turnaround time is on staff-approved applications right now because all of this is pretty new since the Commission de-regulated the limousine business and there have been a flood of applications. It took the Commission a few months to come up with standards for staff approval (i.e., the liquidity and vehicle requirements as well as the amount of experience required), so things were logjammed for awhile. I think the liquidity requirement knocked a lot of the applications out, so things may be moving faster. Simply call the PUC and ask them - they'll tell you how long.
I can't speak to what requirements your county or municipalities may impose, or the Harrisburg airport. Best you should check before going for the PUC.

James H. Joseph
Pegasus Chauffeured Motor Cars
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
jhj@pegasus-pittsburgh.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>