PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to set up pricing zones?

May 31st, 2001, 04:22 PM
Recently, I started to work for my father’s limo company. I would like to set up ZONES, in an effort to standardize pricing in our scheduling software. My question is: How do most companies set up ZONES? Is it by a radius around home base? Or, Should we just look at a map of our service area and cut it into equal squares? I appreciate any answer or advice that you may have?

June 1st, 2001, 02:57 AM
We use zones to price Town Car rides to/from the airport, and we do it two different ways: one for a network and the other for our own customers. The best way is by zip code, that way you have an easy reference for the price without constantly running to the map. Some very large zip codes have to be broken down into smaller segments if you are in a rural area or when you get outside larger cities. The second way we do it is to make the airport the center of concentric circles 1 mile apart. We pick the circle which is our minimum and everything inside that circle is the minimum price. Every cicle out is an additional $2.50. This has the disadvantage of sending you running to the map. But we have good mapping software and it is not all that hard. If you want to run like a taxicab company and have zone-to-zone rates, good luck - you're on your own. The only trips we run on a flat-rate or zone-rate are airports. Everything else is two hour minimum and 30 min. unladen transit time to and from terminal.

James H. Joseph
Pegasus Chauffeured Motor Cars
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
jhj@pegasus-pittsburgh.com