PDA

View Full Version : liquor license

September 27th, 2002, 03:40 PM
in CA:
will i need to buy a liquor license in order to supply alcohol in my limo?
to allow passengers to bring their own?
THANK YOU,
a.

September 27th, 2002, 07:39 PM
No you will not need a liquor licience to have it in the rear of the limo. They can bring thier own as well with no problem. Here is the aplicable vehicle code section:

23221. (a) No driver shall drink any alcoholic beverage while in a motor vehicle upon a highway.
(b) No passenger shall drink any alcoholic beverage while in a motor vehicle upon a highway.

23223. (a) No driver shall have in his or her possession, while in a motor vehicle upon a highway or on lands, as described in subdivision (b) of Section 23220, any bottle, can, or other receptacle, containing any alcoholic beverage that has been opened, or a seal broken, or the contents of which have been partially removed.
(b) No passenger shall have in his or her possession, while in a motor vehicle upon a highway or on lands, as described in subdivision
(b) of Section 23220, any bottle, can, or other receptacle containing any alcoholic beverage that has been opened or a seal broken, or the contents of which have been partially removed.

23225. (a) (1) It is unlawful for the registered owner of any motor vehicle to keep in a motor vehicle, when the vehicle is upon any highway or on lands, as described in subdivision (b) of Section 23220, any bottle, can, or other receptacle containing any alcoholic beverage that has been opened, or a seal broken, or the contents of which have been partially removed, unless the container is kept in the trunk of the vehicle.

23229. (a) Except as provided in Section 23229.1, Sections 23221 and 23223 do not apply to passengers in any bus, taxicab, or limousine for hire licensed to transport passengers pursuant to the Public Utilities Code or proper local authority, or the living quarters of a housecar or camper.
(b) Except as provided in Section 23229.1, Section 23225 does not
apply to the driver or owner of a bus, taxicab, or limousine for hire licensed to transport passengers pursuant to the Public Utilities Code or proper local authority.
(c) This section shall become operative on July 1, 1989.

So:
23221 says nobody drink alcohol while in a car
23223 says nobody can have open containers on them in a car
23225 Says no open containers in the car at all

Then 23229 Says that 23221, 23223 and 23225 do not apply to passengers in a limousine for hire.

Fill ER Up!!

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
steve@capriceshop.com
http://www.capriceshop.com

September 28th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Thanks Steve-well said.

Dean Schuler

September 29th, 2002, 07:51 AM
You might want to check with your state Liquor control commission in regards to you providing the liquor. In Mich it is against the law for the limo company to provide the beverege even if it is free. According to the Sgt. at my local Mich state Police post, it is OK to have alcohol in the Limo provided the divider is up. And on a Bus as long as there is a divider between the passengers and the Driver. He did also advised me that it is unlikely that an officer will hassel you for this but you just might get one who is having a bad day, or it may be a secondary violation for another stop.

David E. Merrill

October 1st, 2002, 11:34 AM
thank you for the information. is very helpful. i am having a difficult time finding insurance for this limo since it will be used for hire... again, any help is appreciated. my email address is riot_dream@hotmail.com incase this should be an off-list discussion.
THANKS AGAIN!
-r.d.

October 2nd, 2002, 02:15 AM
You only need a license in California if you SELL liquor. If you provide your passengers with free alcohol there is no license needed.

October 2nd, 2002, 05:13 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by riotdream:
in CA:
will i need to buy a liquor license in order to supply alcohol in my limo?
to allow passengers to bring their own?
THANK YOU,
a.[/QUOTE

Do not put alcohol in your vehicles period. There is no such thing as free or complimentary alcohol in our business. If a client has to rent the vehicle to get the alcohol that is considered a sale, therefore you need a license.

October 3rd, 2002, 02:25 AM
I concurrently ran a bar and a limo service and was strictly monitored by the Alcoholic Beverage Control Bureau. I was specifically told in writing that we could serve alcohol on a complimentary basis to our "guests" but we must never "sell" a bottle of champagne or a six pack of beer or anything else. The key is - it must be free.

October 3rd, 2002, 03:30 AM
Sounds like there is some differences of opinion in regards to Liquor provided by Limo companies. I will contact Tom Mazza at NLA, and Ms. Mclean at LCT this would be a good project for them to research. In the meantime, perhaps Michelle at Limos.com could do a little due dilligance and see what she can come up with. As far as I can tell you and this came right from the Mich. Liquor control commission, it is illegal to provide Liquor to a client even if it is free with out a licenses in the state of Michigan.

David E. Merrill

October 3rd, 2002, 06:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Limo Scene:
I concurrently ran a bar and a limo service and was strictly monitored by the Alcoholic Beverage Control Bureau. I was specifically told in writing that we could serve alcohol on a complimentary basis to our "guests" but we must never "sell" a bottle of champagne or a six pack of beer or anything else. The key is - it must be free.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suggest you contact the ABC again. Free means that there is no compansation for the item, therfore if you offer free beer you must offer it to anyone wether or not they rent your limousine. If you cant get the beer without getting the limo it is not free.

October 3rd, 2002, 03:54 PM
The section below was lifted directly off the State of California, Alcoholic Beverage Control Act web page. It is quite specific and this is the law exactly as it reads:

23399.5. (a) No license or permit is required for the serving of alcoholic beverages in a limousine by any person operating a limousine service regulated by the Public Utilities Commission, provided there is no extra charge or fee for the alcoholic beverages.

For purposes of this subdivision, there is no extra charge or fee for the alcoholic beverages when the fee charged for the limousine
service is the same regardless of whether alcoholic beverages are served.

Enuf said - let's not waste Tom, Sara or Michelle's time chasing information that is readily available on the computer. As I previously stated before being told to go back to the ABC, I have a letter from the AMC which specifically cites this law and provides the website address. Obviously Greg, you needed more proof - apology accepted in advance sir.

October 4th, 2002, 02:22 AM
Hey Dave,

In reading the posts again, I realize that you are not in California so the law cited applies to California and the original question posed was "In CA:" and I provided a clear and factual answer to the question regarding California. You probably need to go to the website for your own state to see what applies to you. There probably are 50 different laws regarding this subject which would apply to each given state and that would require a lot of time of any of the three people suggested for the search to locate all the laws.