francisco and bay area?

should i supplie driver with uniform?

should i offer health plan

should i offer 401 k

sick days,vacation if how many

should i pay for overtime and how

thank you

September 9th, 2000, 10:35 AM
In the Bay Area the range is from $6.00 to $12.00 per hour, making the average $9.00 per hour.

The type of service you want to provide weighed in with type of employer you want to be will determine the answers to your remaining questions.

As the business owner, your obligations can be as boundless as your expectations.

Not much different with employees. Give them the best, they'll give you the best. What's undetermined is the value YOU put on your expectations.

Lastly, I realize it was pretty late when you posted and not my place to "blast" you. But as I'm certain all have noticed your post had not a single capital letter in it. I'm hoping that prospective clients, customers, and vendors would get a better letter or memo composition-wise.

September 28th, 2000, 04:38 AM
partial <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Karl:
Lastly, I realize it was pretty late when you posted and not my place to "blast" you. But as I'm certain all have noticed your post had not a single capital letter in it. I'm hoping that prospective clients, customers, and vendors would get a better letter or memo composition-wise.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you heard me speak and read something I had written, you'd think it was two different people. I don't post much in this forum but over the past 4-6 weeks I've read some of the posts almost daily and I've seen some terrible composition. Some of the spelling and grammar are so bad that I sometimes think to myself "how can this person be a business owner?" Of course the person could be a business genious but that's not the impression one might gather from reading their post on this site. I don't think my English is always 100% correct but I believe it's important to eliminate or at least avoid the obvious types of mistakes such as the non-usage of capital letters.

Consider this, an owner could have a 1987 car that has not been washed for 3 days. Upon seeing this car outside of a hotel, who would walk up to the driver and inquire about using their service? This driver/company may provide some of the best service in town but the unknowing individual doesn't know this and therefore does not make inquiry based on what he or she sees. Same thing could apply to written material pertaining to your company. It's totally up to each owner but there are people who will be turned off by written material that looks like a child wrote it. I don't mean that as sarcasm.

Consider having someone edit "your" documents or actually write them for you if English is not your strong point. It could be that you are a good scheduler, an excellent mechanic and an outstanding driver. Why let such positive traits stand the risk of not being discovered just because you didn't impress a perspective client with your writing enough for them to want to inquire about your business?

By the way, I scrolled through this reply BEFORE posting and found a simple mistake.
I typed "you" instead of "your." There may be more.

September 28th, 2000, 05:11 AM
BRAVO!! You have just highlighted the number one reason why limo services FAIL on the web-- they can't construct clear and concise emails!

A client requests a limo via email ...

they reply with...

"yes we have a limosine for you on that nite give us a call thansk bob"

This looks like it was written by a child. No one in their right mind would make a reservation with a company that responds in this fashion.

Sadly, a good percentage of limo services respond in this poor fashion, resulting in little, if any bookings from the web.

Your email represents your company.

September 29th, 2000, 03:29 PM
C'mon guys....when I am typing an informal (and I think we would all agree that this INFORMAL), I don't use capital letters all the time. However, I do agree that when you are presenting your business via the internet, you should use correct punctuation, grammar, etc. I have seen many websites with duplicate words, spelling errors, grammtical errors and so on. This person was just looking for some friendly advice not advertise a business.....

October 1st, 2000, 04:57 AM
In the event that I caused an "electronic misinterpretation", my post was NOT directed towards Alex. The response to his posting is a topic which I often think about when reading anything, from this and other forums to personal email messages which I receive. The bottom line is that we are conveying our thoughts to others when we write. This is strictly opinion which is subject to various interpretations but reading text that is full of grammatic and spelling errors eventually becomes a distraction to what is actually being conveyed.

e.g.
1. Correct
There are many limousine companies...

2. Incorrect but understandable
There is many limousine companies...
or
There are many limousine companys...

3. Beyond informal
thre is many limozine compnees an there bosses might want to no how some of the other ones is makin so much money when they all go out an by the same kind of car that alot of the othre ones like to get an they might even be in the same citys but just don't no how they should do to get that bizness for his self.
==================================

I don't know about the rest of you but I will not get to the end of a message if it's as bad as example #3 above. I've seen text that seems just that bad. As was stated earlier, it could be a negative to the entire industry each time someone types anything representing their business using "poor" writing skills as compared to having a few errors.

I'm sure that an English teacher or someone with good editing skills could make corrections to this message. However, I am confident that it clearly conveys my point and it doesn't have enough errors to distract the reader from the point. I think Alex was quite clear and he asked intelligent questions. I actually didn't pay much attention to his omission of capital letters even though I noticed it. I mentioned it in my first reply as reference to Karl's reply.
I think text resembling my example #3 is what we truly need to be mindful of even when being informal.

Also, in my first reply I forgot to include that the owner of dirty 1987 normally keeps his car very clean. :-)

[This message has been edited by vtlipscomb (edited 10-01-2000).]

October 3rd, 2000, 04:16 AM
Well said VTLIPSCOMB ... now, if we can only get limo companies to answer their email everyday, instead of once per week, or "whenever we have time".

http://limos.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

October 3rd, 2000, 04:26 AM
So is anyone going to help this guy?