PDA

View Full Version : What color limo?Black or white



November 27th, 2001, 09:54 AM
I am looking at getting in the business and am curious to know what color my first limo should be? White or black? I plan on buying a new 120 inch car from DeBryan. With a black car, I could miss out on potential weddings as I would assume most couples would want a white car. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...
First post by the way, looks like I can learn a lot here.. http://limos.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

November 27th, 2001, 12:16 PM
go with black. White 120" stretches are a dime a dozen. Madonna says that white limousines are "tacky." Not that we care what Madonna says, but since she said it there has been a noticeable shift to interest in black stretches. Sure, you'll miss weddings for people who want white, just as if you have white you'll miss people who want black. But if your city, like most, has few 120" black stretches, your universe of competition is smaller, your prices can be higher and firmer, and with only one car you'll do better. Market to wedding planners, they're smart enough to want only black limousines - problem is most of their weddings are larger and they will want more than one. Spread the word around that you have a black 120" and other companies will be sending you business. We have two 120" white stretches that I would sell tomorow, or paint black (we will likely do so in January when things slow down). Take this for whatever you think it's worth.


<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dmc1007:
I am looking at getting in the business and am curious to know what color my first limo should be? White or black? I plan on buying a new 120 inch car from DeBryan. With a black car, I could miss out on potential weddings as I would assume most couples would want a white car. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...
First post by the way, looks like I can learn a lot here.. http://limos.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

James H. Joseph
Pegasus Chauffeured Motor Cars
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
jhj@pegasus-pittsburgh.com

November 27th, 2001, 12:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JHJ:
go with black. White 120" stretches are a dime a dozen. Madonna says that white limousines are "tacky." Not that we care what Madonna says, but since she said it there has been a noticeable shift to interest in black stretches. Sure, you'll miss weddings for people who want white, just as if you have white you'll miss people who want black. But if your city, like most, has few 120" black stretches, your universe of competition is smaller, your prices can be higher and firmer, and with only one car you'll do better. Market to wedding planners, they're smart enough to want only black limousines - problem is most of their weddings are larger and they will want more than one. Spread the word around that you have a black 120" and other companies will be sending you business. We have two 120" white stretches that I would sell tomorow, or paint black (we will likely do so in January when things slow down). Take this for whatever you think it's worth.


Quote: "Originally posted by dmc1007:
I am looking at getting in the business and am curious to know what color my first limo should be? White or black? I plan on buying a new 120 inch car from DeBryan. With a black car, I could miss out on potential weddings as I would assume most couples would want a white car. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...
First post by the way, looks like I can learn a lot here.. http://limos.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif"

James H. Joseph
Pegasus Chauffeured Motor Cars
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
jhj@pegasus-pittsburgh.com)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JHJ,
Thank you for your response. Since I am a neophyte at this,I would be curious to know why a wedding planner would be more interested in 120 inch car vs a 100 inch car? Is it because they could get a few more people in (I understand the legal limit for 10/120 is 8 pax as the cars only have 8 seatbelts). In other words if I made contact with a wedding planner and said I own a 120 inch limousine would they really know what I am talking about?
Thanks/David

November 27th, 2001, 02:52 PM
I have to agree with JHJ,I don`t think there is anything smarter than a black Limo-even for Weddings.When a black Limo is "Dressed" for a wedding it stands out a mile,When a Bride is photographed in front of a black Limo SHE stands out a mile.I`m in the market for a late model 120" Black (after New Year).

November 27th, 2001, 11:08 PM
The wedding planner doesn't really understand the difference, but the difference in length is a difference in comfort. Actually, the best planners will use all 6-pax rather than ultra stretches, but not very many. We do a lot of business with whites because ours are a "matched set" which is hard to come by. To get these long cars on the road and keep the prices high, you need a nitch. Black is a nitch. Matched cars are a nitch. Having more than one black car is a nitch.


<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dmc1007:
Quote: "
JHJ,
Thank you for your response. Since I am a neophyte at this,I would be curious to know why a wedding planner would be more interested in 120 inch car vs a 100 inch car? Is it because they could get a few more people in (I understand the legal limit for 10/120 is 8 pax as the cars only have 8 seatbelts). In other words if I made contact with a wedding planner and said I own a 120 inch limousine would they really know what I am talking about?
Thanks/David<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

James H. Joseph
Pegasus Chauffeured Motor Cars
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
jhj@pegasus-pittsburgh.com

November 28th, 2001, 02:16 AM
May I also suggest that instead of purchasing a 2001 why not get a vehicle that is one or two years old. You may even be able to get two used 1999's for the price of your one brand new 2001. The reason why I say this is that the difference between a 1998 to a 2001 is zero. Also do you really want to purchase a new vehicle when you know that lincoln is coming out with a newly designed 2003 town car?

November 28th, 2001, 02:20 AM
JHJ made a statement that said that Madonna recently called white limousines "tacky". She is not the only celebrity to say this. At the beginning of the year Martha Stewart did a special show on planning your wedding. She also commented that she thought white limousines were tacky and that black was the only real "formal" color for limousines. I'm sure everyone has a different opinion on this but I have found that black limousines attract a much higher class of client than white limousines do. It's almost impossible to get corporate clients into a white stretch. I would buy black that way you have more of a chance of using the cars all week long versus just weekend work. I also happen to think that nothing looks better than a nice, shiny black limo.

Wade Randolph

November 28th, 2001, 02:55 AM
Thanks to everyone for their great responses. It seems that black will be it and I must say that a black limousine has always, in my opinion, portrayed a more elegant presence than a white limousine..
Next question..Where would be a good place to buy a used 2000 120 inch car? I am concerned about not having a warranty with a 1999 car..

Tnx/David

November 28th, 2001, 06:42 AM
everywhere right now and it is a buyers market as some companies can't get rid of them fast enough, and repossessions abound. By the way, when you go for a black car, make sure you get a canvas top instead of vinyl (looks better) unless your local environmental considerations suggest otherwise. Use LCT magazine as a source to contact re-sellers of used limos, as well as the internet. But you really gotta' watch these guys. If you can buy direct from a limousine company, you'll do better. In any event, insist on FULL service records - any reputable limousine company will have them. If a warranty is that important, good luck, as it will be a crap shoot to see which coach builders will even be around to honor warranties by Spring. Remember, the important warranty is the Ford (or Cadillac) warranty because if you buy cheap enough the coachbuilder's warranty is not that big a deal. Stick with a QVM-type coach builder so the underlying vehicle warranty is not voided. Look hard for rust in the conversion area, as well as any collision damage.


<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dmc1007:
Thanks to everyone for their great responses. It seems that black will be it and I must say that a black limousine has always, in my opinion, portrayed a more elegant presence than a white limousine..
Next question..Where would be a good place to buy a used 2000 120 inch car? I am concerned about not having a warranty with a 1999 car..

Tnx/David<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

James H. Joseph
Pegasus Chauffeured Motor Cars
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
jhj@pegasus-pittsburgh.com

November 28th, 2001, 06:47 AM
was that the re-designed 2003 Town Car is coming out in Spring of 2002, only a few moinths from now. You have to be dingy to buy Lincolns now - that's also why the coachbuilders are dying from the screwing Lincoln gave them. We're fast converting to Cadillacs, but with the complete expectation that Cadillac will f**k up the current model before long and do something just as stupid (if not more so) than Ford.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nkokas:
May I also suggest that instead of purchasing a 2001 why not get a vehicle that is one or two years old. You may even be able to get two used 1999's for the price of your one brand new 2001. The reason why I say this is that the difference between a 1998 to a 2001 is zero. Also do you really want to purchase a new vehicle when you know that lincoln is coming out with a newly designed 2003 town car?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

James H. Joseph
Pegasus Chauffeured Motor Cars
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
jhj@pegasus-pittsburgh.com

November 28th, 2001, 08:56 AM
My exact reasoning for not recommending to buy a new 2001 lincoln. Couldn't have said it better. I guess that's what JHJ is for http://limos.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

November 28th, 2001, 11:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JHJ:
was that the re-designed 2003 Town Car is coming out in Spring of 2002, only a few moinths from now. You have to be dingy to buy Lincolns now - that's also why the coachbuilders are dying from the screwing Lincoln gave them. We're fast converting to Cadillacs, but with the complete expectation that Cadillac will f**k up the current model before long and do something just as stupid (if not more so) than Ford.

Quote: "Originally posted by nkokas:
May I also suggest that instead of purchasing a 2001 why not get a vehicle that is one or two years old. You may even be able to get two used 1999's for the price of your one brand new 2001. The reason why I say this is that the difference between a 1998 to a 2001 is zero. Also do you really want to purchase a new vehicle when you know that lincoln is coming out with a newly designed 2003 town car?"

James H. Joseph
Pegasus Chauffeured Motor Cars
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
jhj@pegasus-pittsburgh.com)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks guys for all the great information..
http://limos.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

December 17th, 2001, 06:44 PM
Break down what your market is going to be and decide from there. People who want to be in a limo verses seen in a limo, black is a good color. Their own comfort and a low profiled, high status approach is in ther interest.
White stands out and has more of a special occasion, holiday appeal. People that want the world to know "Hey, I'm in livin it up in a limo", white is your color. Going down the freeway you'll see the white limo miles before you spot the back one, so there is pro's and cons with being noticed in either color. If you've ever compared cleaning a black car to a white car you'll find major differences there too. Account the extra cost/time for cleaning the black car more often.
That may not seem like a big deal but I'll never forget what a pain in the *ss maintaining my own black GTA was. Washing your car constantly is not in the finishes best interest, a garage certainly makes life easier with a black car, account for that. When I started out last July, EVERYONE on the net, here included were saying "go with a white" it's funny how public opinions ebb and flow so quickly.
Celebrities and their styles change DAILY, don't limit yourself to their desires of the moment. Base your business on your own markets demands, and your preferences for work. If your into Gold Metallic limos, go for it http://limos.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif -I wonder whatever happened to that latino driver anyway?? http://limos.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

December 30th, 2001, 09:12 AM
Whilst the debate on the new Lincoln and the road Cadillac might end up on. The question of colour is indeed an interesting topic, we are now looking towards silver as a good all round option.
Anyway best of luck whatever colour you chose

http://limos.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

March 30th, 2002, 02:40 PM
I know if I had purchased a new limo when I started my first limousine service I would have taken a bath.
A new limo depreciates the first year. Look at the difference in price between a new one and a one year old one and that is the amount of money that the new one will cost you.
Break it down per week and I expect you will find that number to be over $200 a week.
Do not forget to add in sales tax.
You need to run a new limo frequently to make a profit which is hard to do for a new company.
Good Luck,
Don Pearson

April 17th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Well, a VERY sensitive question. I just found a poll here in Europe, where 970 poarticipants voted for colors: 15% black, 13% white and 69%(!) silver. You can find that poll at http://www.starlimos.de

Hope this helped a little and gave some input from abroad ...

Best regards from Salzburg/Austria
Rupert

May 3rd, 2002, 06:05 AM
Before going into business a successful operator will have a business plan. If you are plannning on going after social work (nights out on the town, proms, weddings, bachelor/ette parties...) a white limousine is essential

If you are looking to become a successful operator that has his car(s) working on a DAILY basis that means you will be going after corporate/business accounts, funeral services, and high-end work without a doubt you are looking at black limousines.

Size is just as important as color! Corporate executives, VIP's, Funeral Directors all prefer 70" 6-Passenger limousines. It is the social market that prefers the white 120's.

NEW VS. USED

We all know that new limousines depreciate. But so does everything with the possible exception of real estate and diamonds. Yes, there is a price differential between new and used. But, don't be pound wise and penny foolish! A new limousine (assuming that it is a QVM/CMC approved conversion) comes with both an OEM and coachbuilder warranty. Therefore, with the exception of maintainence items (oil changes, brakes, and tire rotations) everything will be covered. There will be NO unanticipated expenses to break you budget!

When it comes to attracting clients to your new business. Do you honestly beleive that they will be willing to leave their current limousine/ground tranportation provider to go with a start-up operator with USED cars?

Most importantly. Unless you are buying for 100% cash..a used limo may cost you the same as a new limousine!!! Yes, you read that correctly.

1. Banks charge a higher rate for used cars vs new
2. Banks go to a shorter term for used then new.
3. There are no rebates on used to help with the downpayment.

It is actually possible, and quite common, for a used limousine to have the same down payment, the same (if not higher) monthly payments then a new limousine. The only difference is the amount of years that you will be paying.

RICK EICHNER
CITY LIMOUSINE SALES
CITY HUMMER
CITY CADILLAC-OLDSMOBILE, INC.
1-800-223-3969
LIMOSALES@AOL.COM

May 3rd, 2002, 06:09 AM
In my previous post, I left out one other important factor - RESALE VALUE. It it not just the cost going in...but how much you will get back in the end.

From 28 years of experience we have found that in 70" limousines black brings the highest resale value.

In 120" limousines the desired color is white.

You could loose as much as $00.50 on the $$$ with silver. Unless you are lucky enough to find the 1 person in 3,000 that actually is looking for a used silver limousine