PDA

View Full Version : Starting a limo business

August 9th, 2000, 09:10 AM
I was thinking of starting a limo business and was wondering what was the best car, company, or anything else to use

August 9th, 2000, 10:18 AM
Tom,

Not to be rude or anything, but if I see this question again, I think I may puke.

There are many posts on this subject already here in this forum -- please perform a search on the subject. Then, if after reading those posts, you have additional comments, please reply your additional questions to the thread.

http://www.limousinesonline.com/ubb/eek.gif

Sometimes it gets a bit tedious answering the same question over and over again every 3 days.

There are dozens of people here that would be more than happy to assist you! But please, read the prior discussions first and then formulate your questions then.

Thank you!!!

[This message has been edited by XENEFOX Media Corporation (edited 08-09-2000).]

August 9th, 2000, 12:52 PM
Well not to be rude but go f*** yourself

[This message has been edited by XENEFOX Media Corporation (edited 08-14-2000).]

August 9th, 2000, 01:46 PM
Yes, that is a great way to start out in a new business.

August 9th, 2000, 02:31 PM
Take it from an old buzzard like me fellow. With your attitude your not going to make it in my business, sorry about that and goodbye.
Dick

August 9th, 2000, 04:33 PM
Well dick you can go fuck yourself too. I asked a simple question and got chewed out.
I own one of the most successful bus lines in pennsylvania and was looking to expand my business with limos. Asked a simple question and got bitched at. I don't need this shit from you poor limo driving scum. I made more last year than probably you all did your whole lives. So how about don't bother writing back cause I could buy and sell all your pathetic little businesses if I wanted too. And once again
GO **** YOURSELVES

[This message has been edited by XENEFOX Media Corporation (edited 08-14-2000).]

August 9th, 2000, 04:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I asked a simple question and got chewed out.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmm....at what point was this guy chewed out? All that was stated was to read the posts here that already had information pertaining to the subject. If questions arise from that reading, please feel free to post.

Instead, you take it personally and post vulgar remarks about people you know nothing about.

In reference to "limo driving scum" -- I own this company. The people in this forum are 90% owners and managers of limousine services, not limo drivers. And if they were, who cares.

The bottomline is, no matter how much money you make per year, it does not exempt you from being labeled an asshole.

[This message has been edited by XENEFOX Media Corporation (edited 08-09-2000).]

August 9th, 2000, 05:50 PM
Well, things sure got hot in a hurry. I have to say that if people read through the already posted messages they usually will find the answer before even having to ask the question. I agree that it is very repetative in these forums asking about starting a limo business, I get alittle annoyed to sometimes but I just chose not to answer the same question over and over. As for Tom taking it personally, it tends to show that this is not a person with good people skills. If this upset him that much that he felt the need to revert to name calling, what would an upset client do to his blood pressure? I don't know anyone here personally, and I am sure Tom is a good person, but I would recommend staying with the trucking business. I not only own a limousine company I am a working police officer and usually a good judge of character. If you can't take direction, criticism or advice you can't make it in the limousine business.

------------------
Brandy Fuller
Owner S.L.S.

August 9th, 2000, 11:47 PM
**** you piggy

August 10th, 2000, 01:33 AM
NICE GUY!!!!!
Do us a favour,STAY OUT OF THE LIMO BUSINESS!
With an attitude like yours I don`t beleive you have a succesful Bus company.If you have let us know the name so all your customers can know how ignorant you really are.Don`t even bother to answer this reply,I can guess what it would be.Have a nice day,take a couple of Valium and calm down.

August 10th, 2000, 02:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dick Hall:
Take it from an old buzzard like me fellow. With your attitude your not going to make it in my business, sorry about that and goodbye.
Dick<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The worst insult you can give to a veteran operator is to call him a "bus person".

August 10th, 2000, 02:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dick Hall:
Dick<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The worst insult you can give to a veteran operator is to call him a "bus person".
Dean Schuler

August 10th, 2000, 03:12 AM
Nelson is associated with T.A. Nelson Bus Line, Inc. of Connellsville, PA. Connellsville is a hamlet about 40 miles southeast of Pittsburgh in the adjoining county, right in the middle of the old bituminous coal mining area. Things haven't been the same in that area since the beehive coke ovens were shut down by the EPA. All things are relevant, and perhaps without the perspective from a larger metropolitan area it would look to Nelson like owning a bus line in Connellsville would be "one of the most successful" in the state if it survived more than a year or so. My guess is that Nelson operates less pieces of equipment than a lot of limousine operators. Wonder what grass is so much greener on our side of the fence that would entice Nelson to divert his efforts from "the most successful bus line in Pennsylvania?" There are few operators in his area, primarily because there are so few people. We would look forward to his kind of competition - it would make our company look so much better.

August 10th, 2000, 04:41 AM
I'm sorry I'm going to take up for Tom it seems like we just got of to a bad start with him every 1 has a bad side. I know what he asked has been asked before but it is not his fault he was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Right after I posted I looked around and saw it had been asked many times before. I went bake and read all of them with in the next day.

I also would like to here some of Tom's info on how he started his biz and has done so well.

August 10th, 2000, 08:09 PM
It sounds like Tom has a good thing going! I can't figure out how any bus company makes any money, You go out and spend $300,000+ on a coach that you get $50-$60 per hour for, the same rate as a 6 passenger limousine that cost $50,000 or less???????

August 10th, 2000, 08:23 PM
Excuse me, but where are you finding coaches for $50-60 per hour??? This is someone I have to have a long talk with. Is this by any chance a limousine operator that also books full sized motorcoaches? Most limousine operators that book motorcoaches price them well below what they should be (just like they do their limousines, so what else is new?).

The top motorcoach operators in So Cal. are getting approximately $85 per HALF hour. after a five hour minimum.

[This message has been edited by Karl (edited 08-11-2000).]

August 11th, 2000, 07:19 AM
Roesch Lines in So. Cal, who is owned by Laidlaw who now owns Greyhound, $300 for 5 hour min. $50 per hr after the first 5. The price is common in the area, they even run new coaches? We sub-contract with them, If you are paying $85 you should call them and make a little extra

August 11th, 2000, 07:32 AM
Could a used school bus be used for a commuter service?

PS: Im in Arkansas and I do plan to fix it up.

August 11th, 2000, 09:04 AM
I am happy this thread has turned a corner into "how much bus-lines rent for" versus name calling. Perhaps Mr. Nelson himself can add some feedback to this topic. I had always thought motorcoach rentals where more than $100/hr because of passenger capacity.

I would imagine the descrepancy arises from the type of coach and the geographic region.

As for the school bus, I am not sure how that would work because Motorcoaches typically have bathroom facilities on board.

Michael

August 11th, 2000, 09:31 AM
I should have clarified that I was speaking more or less of retail (consumer) rates. But you answered your own question, really. How do they NOT stay in business being backed by Coach USA and Laidlaw? They could run the coaches for pennies on the dollar. Sad point is, you get what you pay for!

Roesch was at one time one of the premier companies. However Coach USA has reduced most of it's companies to mere shadows of their respective former selves. No offense to Coach USA.

I only deal with the remaining real bus operations who are still privately held and operated by folks who have know-how of the business, and care about the business: not these corporate umbrella imposters who only figured out in the last few years that the travel and tourism industries are multi-billion dollars in revenues and they try to gobble up everybody. I don't even send work to the company I used to be with and that was Protrav Services since they were merged into Travelways (Protrav, once regarded as one of the best if not the best bus operator in L.A., but now just a JOKE!). Virtually every former Protrav client said thanks, but no thanks... we'll search for own own replacement. Bravo, I say.

And for the greatest majority of users of motorcoaches, that would be tour operators, Greyhound has never been condusive to their operations. Tour operators tend to like to deal with as few people as possible, and of their own choosing: hence many have no-farm out clauses with their regular providers. They liked knowing that if for example they wanted "Joe" from Roesch Lines to drive their VIP group from England on a 14-day tour, that's who they would have. Not someone else from the mass of all the Coach USA in the region. Most would rather pay for what the want rather than pay low-ball for service which falls short of what they request.

[This message has been edited by Karl (edited 08-12-2000).]

August 11th, 2000, 09:38 AM
Oh and for T/A's question...

Yes, certain former school buses are indeed used for commuter service as well as other charter work. They are normally painted anything other than the standard school bus yellow, and typically marketed as "economy" buses.

Most common are those of the "transit" variety: those are the larger buses which have the front axle set back behind the driving position, although "conventionals" (with the engine out front of the driver) are also used.

Before prices skyrocketed, economy buses were used a great deal for sporting events, clubs and associations, day trips, etc. Most anything that didn't venture off too far, or require deluxe amenities like air conditioning, on-board lavatory, and extra baggage space.

[This message has been edited by Karl (edited 08-11-2000).]

August 13th, 2000, 09:11 AM
I'd like to recommend to the moderator of this service that any message that contains the type of language used by Mr. Bus be deleted as soon as it appears.

August 14th, 2000, 10:43 AM
The language has been edited although we like to keep the forum as "unedited" as possible.

August 26th, 2000, 03:37 PM
Most people with any people skills and tact don't use that type of language when they are conversing with others. It really shows that little thought is put into the reply. You don't have to use your brain to talk like an illiterate. Mr. Bus should stay in the bus industry, service and people skills are a must for the limo biz
Melanie
Champagne Limousines

p.s. Have heard the bus insurance is going to increase to astronomical proportions and Mr. Bus aka Successful Mr. Bus will need all his wealth to buy insurance, now that only one company is really writing bus insurance. HA!! And Mr. Bus my limo business isn't for sale at any price to the likes of you.

August 28th, 2000, 06:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by XENEFOX Media Corporation:
[b] Hmmmm....at what point was this guy chewed out? All that was stated was to read the posts here that already had information pertaining to the subject. If questions arise from that reading, please feel free to post.

Instead, you take it personally and post vulgar remarks about people you know nothing about.

In reference to "limo driving scum" -- I own this company. The people in this forum are 90% owners and managers of limousine services, not limo drivers. And if they were, who cares.

The bottomline is, no matter how much money you make per year, it does not exempt you from being labeled an asshole.

[This message has been edited by XENEFOX Media Corporation (edited 08-09-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't understand how this individual perceived the initial reply as anything but a plea to be cognizant of avoiding redundant questions within the forum. His counter reply besides being vulgar was immature.

Sometimes we misunderstand one another which leads to one or more parties being upset. A few months ago I sent an email message to the publisher of a major limo publication (it was not LCT) concerning never getting my subscription at or near the beginning of the month for which it is published. Obviously he misunderstood me. The response I got was very rude even though the language was clean. He even said he didn't want "someone like me" as a subscriber. The part of me that started to boil is the part most adults have learned to keep in check as I did. I didn't think the expletives would get my magazine to me any sooner anyway. I like the magazine though so I overlooked the fact that the person who responded needs to develop better people skills. I was glad to get my August copy, even though it didn't arrive until the 23rd of August.

Let's be both careful and patient in the mail we send and that which we receive.

------------------
VeMan

August 28th, 2000, 11:20 AM
After reviewing some of the earlier comments made, I feel it neccessary to inject a few opposing viewpoints, since I am and have always been a "bus person" and proudly wear that badge alongside anything else I do.

As a bus person, I am going to take offense to the implied notion among many that operating a bus company is requiring of a lower level of service or professionalism. Or that buses are not glamourous... that those in the bus industry are not people oriented. For those of you who can't understand what I'm talking about, I address all the earlier referrence to a particular person "staying where he is in the bus business because he doesn't have the 'people skills' to be a part of the limousine industry." There is a suitable eight letter word and the first four are B-U-L-L. Talk about an elitist attitude. And honestly it is annoying that much of it comes from those who haven't any appreciable experience in either field to make judgements.

People skills are a must in the limousine industry? Fine, I agree, as they should be in any industry that offers a service. Well let's just accommodate that... One thing I can say that the bus industry has that the limousine industry suffers woefully from is a lack of owners or operators with BUSINESS skills. You don't have many one-bus owner operator fleets out there. With a new motorcoach at $325,000 there isn't so much worry about someone popping up in the business every day that doesn't know what they're doing and causing a tremendous turnover. And a motorcoach operation is the same regardless of size. They don't have all of these whining hang ups about the "big boys" versus the "little guys" crap. There are far fewer gypsies, and a much better system of rate integrity among carriers. And oh yes, the software is much better!

There is of course so much more but now at least both sides have been aired.

Karl

[This message has been edited by Karl (edited 08-28-2000).]

November 3rd, 2000, 11:26 AM
I'm new here and interested in starting a limo business. I think I might learn something new here. I first fell in love with the limo when I got married. We rented a mega stretch limo and have dreamed since of being an operator.

November 3rd, 2000, 02:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Karl:
One thing I can say that the bus industry has that the limousine industry suffers woefully from is a lack of owners or operators with BUSINESS skills. You don't have many one-bus owner operator fleets out there. With a new motorcoach at $325,000 there isn't so much worry about someone popping up in the business every day that doesn't know what they're doing and causing a tremendous turnover. And a motorcoach operation is the same regardless of size. They don't have all of these whining hang ups about the "big boys" versus the "little guys" crap. There are far fewer gypsies, and a much better system of rate integrity among carriers. And oh yes, the software is much better!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said, Karl - and regrettably true.

January 15th, 2001, 06:29 AM
I came to this site to get information resources on starting a limosine/bus service, and all I have seen is mean spirited back and forth comments. If one does not feel like answering the question then DON'T. If you don't mind answering the question then please feel free to answer. Your answer may help someone else who is reading this post and hasnt had chance to read the other posts.

I hope when a potential customer asks a question about your service you dont tell them to do the research and come back later if they dont find the answer. Surely, you will find that the customer/interested party will soon find other resources if attitudes are not changed. It benefits nobody. The person you turn away today might be the customer of tomorrow.

marinate on that for a little while.

January 15th, 2001, 10:42 AM
RC,

Your comments are quite valid and I do agree.

However I must notate that some people do not bother to read, and are just plain lazy. They want information dropped into their laps without doing any leg-work. Another example of this (off-topic) is limo companies join Limos.com and harbour this mentality: They want business "dropped into their laps" -- yes, they don't bothering answering email, they don't bother putting together nice sales letters to clients, they sit back and wait for things to come to them -- they are lazy.

This is the old "I want something for nothing" or "get rich quick" mentality. I believe the question which spurred the "mean-spirited" dialogue was created because the very same question was asked just a day earlier and was in clear view had a few seconds been taken to read.

No big deal we all are guilty of such behavior including myself. (Not laziness, but not retaining what I read)

Perhaps we are to blame for poor forum categorization ~~ we have sinced tried to make things a bit more categorically aesthetic. Perhaps we are to blame for a response which was a little rough around the edges -- it must have been a day when the servers were down and the admin was cranky. No excuse.

Nonetheless, we've put it behind us and started this forum section "Starting a Limo Business" because so many people have ideas and goals on starting a limo company. It appears to be a favorite for aspiring entrepreneurs and we hope whatever information is here now and in the future helps.

Sorry about getting off topic and good luck with your business ventures!

Limos.com
Michael

http://limos.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

http://www.limos.com/limoforumgraphics/bbtitle_small.gif