PDA

View Full Version : Liability/waivers

November 6th, 2001, 11:46 PM
Looking for a standard liability waiver, if anyone knows a good source.
Also, a question came up regarding waivers on bachelor parties, etc. Can the individual "client" legally sign a waiver for their guests on a charter, or would you need to get each guest to sign a waiver.
thanks.

November 7th, 2001, 01:07 AM
If you can advise what type of "waiver" you are looking for, we have plenty. I would not suggest having each member of the party sign a waiver. It would be tacky. However, our policy is that the "lessee" or person who rented the vehicle is responsible for the vehicle and signs a contract agreeing to be responsible for the vehicle, loss of contents, damage and the behavior of their party. We also use a "prom" contract for kids.
If you want, I will e-mail you the text.

November 7th, 2001, 02:55 AM
generally speaking, wipe a certain part of the posterior or your anatomy with a liability waiver. Almost all states consider an advance waiver of tortious conduct as against public policy, and where the injured person didn't sign it is even more worthless than worthless.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Limoboy:
Also, a question came up regarding waivers on bachelor parties, etc. Can the individual "client" legally sign a waiver for their guests on a charter, or would you need to get each guest to sign a waiver.
thanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

James H. Joseph
Pegasus Chauffeured Motor Cars
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
jhj@pegasus-pittsburgh.com

November 7th, 2001, 12:54 PM
Limoboy, DO NOT be dissuaded by the last. In most cases where you need to exercise enforcement of your waiver, the damage will be under $2500 and thus can be heard in Small Claims court. The judges in Small Claims tend to be more informal, hearing both sides and reviewing your waiver. We have been to court four times in the past ten years and prevailed each and everytime WITH OUR WAIVER. While each circumstance is different, it's better to have a piece of paper declared worthless than have nothing to show the judge that there was a reasonable expectation on the part of your client that additional charges would/may be incurred if certain conditions happened.

November 7th, 2001, 08:57 PM
is you guys don't know what a "waiver" is. A waiver is what it says - the passenger waives his or her claims against your company in advance of the service being performed. These are universally unenforceable - PERIOD, end of story. What it seems you are calling a "waiver," but which isn't a waiver at all, is an agreement that the person hiring your vehicles will be financially responsible for damages to the vehicle, etc. Just as in the car rental business, these covenants ARE enforceable (but they are NOT waivers).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Limo Scene:
Limoboy, DO NOT be dissuaded by the last. In most cases where you need to exercise enforcement of your waiver, the damage will be under $2500 and thus can be heard in Small Claims court. The judges in Small Claims tend to be more informal, hearing both sides and reviewing your waiver. We have been to court four times in the past ten years and prevailed each and everytime WITH OUR WAIVER. While each circumstance is different, it's better to have a piece of paper declared worthless than have nothing to show the judge that there was a reasonable expectation on the part of your client that additional charges would/may be incurred if certain conditions happened.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

James H. Joseph
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

November 7th, 2001, 09:03 PM
this initial post, it appears that the question was specific and you know quite well what a "liability waiver" is, although Limo Scene's response was not on point and addressed something totally different. To wrap up - liability waivers are unenforceable. If you feel your company is in danger of becoming liable to a passenger, terminate the ride and put the car in the garage. Limo Scene, if there is any state that rejects waivers out of hand and iniversally, it is California.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Limoboy:
thanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

James H. Joseph
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

November 8th, 2001, 06:36 AM
I concede I did not thoroughly read the question and digest it. I believe the need to sue a passenger under the terms of a contract is a far greater possibilty than a passenger suing a limo company because of something that happened during a bachelor party. In that case, the "waiver" is called insurance. If you get sued for damages etc., let your insurance handle it and don't worry about a waiver. I apologize for not thinking more clearly before answering and appreciate you calling me on my off base response Jim. My apologies to all.

BeachBoy
October 27th, 2011, 12:48 PM
If you can advise what type of "waiver" you are looking for, we have plenty. I would not suggest having each member of the party sign a waiver. It would be tacky. However, our policy is that the "lessee" or person who rented the vehicle is responsible for the vehicle and signs a contract agreeing to be responsible for the vehicle, loss of contents, damage and the behavior of their party. We also use a "prom" contract for kids.
If you want, I will e-mail you the text.

Hello! I would love a copy of the "waiver" and "prom" contract emailed to me if you could.
Thanks,

LGAL
October 27th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Is this a new record for old threads?

cvclubs
October 27th, 2011, 09:46 PM
New record!